• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help on Hydro Sponge Filters

kbeaudean

Members
Getting ready to order some more Hydro sponge filters. I have about 25 original style sponges and about 5 of the new Pro sponges. My pro sponge tanks have a cloud to them. Has anyone had a problem with this before i order more?? Also at what kind of store can i buy sponge from to make my own??

Thanks!

lonlangione

Members
Kevin.

Discus Hans sells the Poret foam that works great. If you are looking to buy the hydro sponges check out Jehmco's price on them.

Lonny

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Kevin

Check out the pore size on the sponges. Hydro sponges come in at least four different pore sizes. The fine-pore size works very well and for a long time but cleaning it out is very difficult. The very large size pore as found in the pond or prefilter sponges allows good flow and lots of places for good bacteria to grow and is hard to get packed with debris and is easy to clean but can allow the tank to remain cloudy. The other two pore sizes are between these two. I prefer the larger size pores but not the prefilter size. BTW if the tank was clean and then becomes cloudy after a month or more with a sponge filter, that is often the result of the sponge filter being clogged with debris and therefore in need of cleaning. Once cleaned the tank will still take a couple day to become clear again, maybe less time if you also do a large water change.

Frank