• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bilge Pump for fish tanks

dink

Members
I was thinking about using a bilge pump (500 gph) to remove the water from the fish tank and wanted to see if anyone else has tried making an automatic way of water changes. I just wanted to see what someone else thought about it.

ezrk

Members
We drain our tanks using a submersible pump hooked up to a hose, which works well. The slow part is refilling...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I use a couple of pumps for changing water on my tanks. For my big tanks (120 and above) I have a 1200 GPH pump that I hook to a garden hose and pump them out to water the plants in the front yard. I can't remember the make of the pump, but I got it from Kensfish for around $70. Works well and sure beats carrying buckets or wasting water on a python to get a suction. I use the python for refilling only.

In my upstairs "fish room" I have a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub that I put in the middle of the room. I have a Mag 7 hooked to a hose that I run out one of the windows onto the roof. I siphon the tanks into the rubbermaid, then pump it out of the house. The gutter on the roof runs into another flower bed.

All in all, I change water on 14 tanks weekly and I don't put any water into my septic tank. The pumps make all the difference.

I also use a powerhead hooked to clear tubing to pump water out of tanks on the lower racks in my fish room. I find it difficult to get a good siphon going on tanks that are only 6" off the floor.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I use a large MAG pump on a hose as well. Python for refilling, but that's about it downstairs. Still use the drain function upstairs where I have smaller tanks spread out.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have a 1/3 hp submersible pump that I got from Lowes. I use it in the bottom row of tanks. I think its 25gpm or about 1500gph.
I use a trashcan on wheels for the other two rows of tanks and then use the same pump to get the water out of the trash can.

It all goes to the subpump. This in turn sends it out into the side yard.

I also use the pump on my 150 in the other room. Its just quicker than gravity.
I use the python for filling as well.

ezrk

Members
Python for refilling,

We switched away from using the Python for refilling on big tanks. Instead we have a potable water hose hooked up which allows for more flow and less pressure lose than the Python fittings.

We also have quick release garden hose still hook-ups which are nice if you can't keep your stuff hooked up all the time. Yes they are brass which potentially leeches a small amount of copper, but it is very, very small....

dink

Members
Hey guys what is a python and thanks this seems like good ideas I was getting tired of using my guns

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hey guys what is a python and thanks this seems like good ideas I was getting tired of using my guns

Python is a name brand for a device that hooks up to the end of your faucet and allows you to drain and fill your tank. To drain, you leave the valve open on the faucet connection and turn on the water. The water running past the opening to the hose that is in your tank creates a vacuum and sucks water out of the tank. When it is time to fill, you close the valve and water flows through the tube into the tank.

They are marketed under different names depending on the manufacturer. Most are called some sort of "water changing system".

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Lees gravel cleaner is similar to the Python.

To those using pumps to drain your tanks: are you gravel cleaning? If so, doesn't the pull from the pump suck up the gravel?

I gravity siphon to the toilet (2nd floor condo) using a Lees gravel cleaner and then attach it to the sink to refill the tanks.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sonny Disposition

I have a low tech system for draining/filling several tanks at once.

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=235

I have to admit, though, that a high output pump of some kind would make things faster. In the past, I've put a hose on a powerhead to empty a cattle trough.

I was thinking about using a bilge pump (500 gph) to remove the water from the fish tank and wanted to see if anyone else has tried making an automatic way of water changes. I just wanted to see what someone else thought about it.