• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB/WTT: TANKS

1badmarine

Okay, so in an effort to save electricity cost, I've decided to switch to sump systems on all my tanks. I'm looking for any type of drilled tanks (75g and above). I would prefer to do 1 for 1 trade, but will buy anything for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
If you want to save on electricity - a central air pump is the way to go.

A sump usually requires a fairly high output and needs to overcome a head height of 3 or 4 feet.

A HOB generally will be in between the two in power usage. A Mag 5 - 500 gph pump uses 49 watts. A 500 gph AquaClear uses 14 watts.

A Mag 5 - 500 gph

jonclark96

Past CCA President
+1 on Jesse's comments. A central air system running sponges, box filters, and/or mattenfilters would be the cheapest way to go in addition to getting all the tanks into a fish room so you could heat the room instead of the tanks.

1badmarine

I currently run 2-3 canisters on each of my tanks. My 180 is running 2 FX5's. Plus, sumps are much easier to clean,I cut back on heaters and stuff hanging in the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'll give my standard dump filter recommendation. Basically all of the benefits of a sump but no need to drill (and much less head loss).

Matt

1badmarine

Fish room isn't an option. I'm pushing it with the number of tanks I have in a finished basement. Wife doesn't share my enthusiasm. LOL

The problem with sponges is I have bigger tanks. 55, 75, 90, 125, 180. I'm trying to clean the tanks of devices. Makes them more appealing and keeps the wife off my back. That's why I'm trying to clear space and selling fish.

A central sump system may be the easiest to clean, but is the biggest electricity user because it has to lift several feet of head and overcome many feet of pipe friction.

Canister system is easy to set up, but tedious to clean. It uses less electricity than a sump system, but not a whole lot saving because it still has to overcome long pipe friction. Canister just hide waste out of sight, not a healthy system if you use it to procrastinate cleaning.

Like eveyone said, a central air sponge system is the most energy efficient, and easiest to set up. But the system does not provide any mechanical filtration, so you have to do frequent WC to remove visible wastes. An air sponge system can be the most healthy system because it doesnt allow you to procrastinate cleaning.

The middle ground is HOBs. HOBs are low energy user by design because they only need to lift an inch of head and don't have long pipe friction to overcome. HOB motors are rated only 5 to 15 watts maximum. HOBs are excellent mechanical filter but require frequent filter changes, more so than sump and cansiter systems. But changing HOB filters is quick and easy, and frequent changing provides cleaner water, healthier environment and less WC need.

1badmarine

Thanks a lot everyone. Lots of learning going on.

Any suggestions on how to hide all the mechanics that come along with HOB and Canisters? Since the majority of my tanks are set-up in my finished basement (AKA movie room for the wife) they are a lot more aesthetically pleasing if I don't have things hanging on the glass or the sound of running water from a HOB.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think there is much you can do about the trickling water noise from an HOB besides keep your tank full to the top. It is possible, as I have two tanks in my bedroom, each filtered by dual AC70s, and the water noise isn't noticeable. Hiding HOBs is way more difficult. I have seen in-tank backgrounds that are hollowed out to conceal hardware, but not sure that would work well. Canisters with in-line heaters may be your best bet beside the sump.

I am not a sump guy, but I know many struggle with them be noisy as well. I believe there are ways to reduce the noise, but you have to plan for it.

1badmarine

Thanks Jon. This is proving to be more difficult than I initially thought. The good thing is, I've come across some great deals on tanks this weekend. I'll be doing a tank blowout sale next week