• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Barramundi - it's what's for dinner...

dogofwar

CCA Members
At least it was the other night when my wife and I ate at Black Salt (http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/)

It was a nightly special...and was grilled, skin-on...served with scallops and a balsamic sauce.

Awesome!

Anyone else tried it or other aquarium fish (other than tilapia, of course)?

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've had triggerfish. Odd but def tasty
Do Karps and skates count? I believe channel cats count, they are delicious battered and fried.

barramundi as in panther grouper, or Asian seabass? I'm assuming grouper right?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure - but it was good.

As an aside, I've had carp (as in goldfish) when I was a kid. My Grandad cooked it in a way that was not-bad-at-all (he grew up in the Depression when you had to make do)...

The invasive Asian "carp" isn't actually a carp but has meat more like a tilapia, at least from what I hear. Supposed to be quite good!

Matt

i also have heard that Lion fish has become somewhat of a delicacy with the abundance of them that have been released in the Florida waters

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - supposed to be quite good... and a terrible invasive... catching and eating them seems like a win-win!

Matt

i also have heard that Lion fish has become somewhat of a delicacy with the abundance of them that have been released in the Florida waters

chriscoli

Administrator
I saw a bit on the food network the other day about how they're promoting the Chesapeake Ray (cownose ray) as a tasty seafood alternative. Is supposed to be available in the area in Whole Foods and Wegmans type stores during the Spring (when the rays are here).

Anyone try it?

JasonC

Members
Was down at the chesapeake bay bridge in VA... the long, two part one.... last summer. The local fishermen on the center pier want nothing to do with it and call it a pest.. they are usually pretty violent with how they pull their hooks so that the rays wont survive. Saw 5 or 6 get pulled in the short time I was there.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Very cool! I've eaten (and cooked) arapaima before and it was incredible. It smelled bad but tasted great! I've also eaten large mouth bass that me and my dad caught. It's a very oily fish with lots of pin bones but it was very tasty.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
yah, I like deep sea fishing much better because the fish are much bigger and they fight much better.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Dep on how my summer looks we should do a club trip?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Id enjoy that.
There is a dock really close to the hotel Im staying in right now. Yesterday I went out at that dock fishing and caught a 3' redfish. Defenitely the strongest and biggest fish I've ever caught. Unfortunately it's only catch and release there.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I've cooked barramundi numerous times. It's one of my favorite.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App