• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Fish Apartment

Termato

Board of Directors
Hi Everyone! I'm going to use this thread to keep track of what is happening with all of my tanks. Here are the tanks currently set up:

150 Gallon Amazon Discus Tank
- 8 Discus
- 7 Cardinal Tetras
- 7 Sterba's Cory

The plan is to have a giant school of tetras with about 12 discus when the tank is finished. I originally had 12, but some died because the source I got them from was not a good one--Live Aquaria. I learned the hard way. I'll be looking to get more discus in the near future.

75 Gallon Iwagumi Tank
- 15 Boseman's Rainbow
- 6 Yoyo Loaches

This tank will eventually get the tiger barbs and be done. Once all of the yoyo's are fully grown, I may consider rehoming them to someone else. I've always been a fan of clown loaches but have never kept them.

75 Gallon Amazon Tank
- 9 Angels
- 22 Rummynose Tetra
- 6 Bronze Cory

1 to 2 of these angels will end up being removed from this tank. 4 of them are very small. This tank is the most settled in of all my tanks. It has the nicest plants.

40 Gallon Breeder Tank (Currently QT)
- 50 Cardinal Tetras (To go 150G Discus Amazon)

This tank, after QTing the cardinals, will be used to grow up the German Blue Ram fry I will be breeding.

20 Gallon Long QT Tank
- Apisto Agazi Double Full Red (To go into 150G)
- 9 Otos (To go into 150G)

Once QT has been completed with all of the new fish, this tank will be turned into a nice scape to house the 10 Celestial Pearl danios, shrimp and a few other small fish in a very nice scape.

10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
- 20 Celestial Pearl Danios
- 3 Cherry Red Shrimp
- Nerite Snail
- 1 of each: Amano Shrimp, Light Blue, Blue, Green, and Crystal shrimp

This tank was set up by my girlfriend and she maintains it. It's finally fully stocked and just beginning to settle. We put the CPDs in last night after QTing.

10 Gallon QT Tank
- 15 Tiger Barbs (To go 75G Iwagumi)
- Blue Paradise Gourami (To go 75G Iwagumi)

This tank is our permanent QT tank.

2 Gallon Betta Bowl
- Crowntail Betta

I made this glass bowl for this betta. I have been experimenting with making glass fish bowls and I am making different sizes and colors. Pictures and videos of this are coming soon.

2 Gallon QT Bowl
- 10 Celestial pearl Danios

I also made this bowl but we are currently using it for a QT because I don't want to put the CPDs with any of the other fish (or over stock the 10 Gallon they are supposed to go in). So this is their temporary home until they can make it into their final destination of the 20 gallon long tank. This bowl will eventually be a shrimp bowl.

At my office I have a 29 Gallon Amazon Ram Tank set up.
- 1 German Blue Ram (Female) <-- was a mated pair and the mail actually just died today :(
- 11 Neon Tetra
- 6 Bronze Cory
- 10 Assassin Snails
- Blue Mystery Snail

Ramshorn snails have taken over this tank and made it unstable. I lost a German Blue Ram because of it over the weekend. He had been healthy for months now. It was a very sad thing to come in and see that today. We are in the works of figuring out what to do with this tank. Get more fish or a bigger tank?

------

I will post up some pictures and videos of the tanks and space soon. These are all planted tanks, with the exception of the QT tanks. Today we just received the following fish in the mail:
- 50 Cardinal Tetras
- 15 Tiger Barbs
- 9 Otos
- Double Full Red Apisto Agazi
- Blue Paradise Fish

I will post pictures of the unpacking, acclimation, introduction into the tanks, etc. along with everything. I just have to get all of that sorted out for everyone.

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
Here is a little teaser video of the Betta Bowl with the 10G and 150G behind it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JWFzyb2Vg

I took it right as the lights go off so you can see how that happens. I am going to try and take a few more videos like this but a bit longer and better music.

Last edited:

dhavalsp

Members
nice setups...eager to see some pics....for discus, discus-hans is just an hour from you.

That 150G sounds awesome, what kind of discus do you have and which ones are you going to add?

Becca

Members
Welcome! I love the hand-made bowls!

Just a quick note (at least my personal experience) - With discus, a lot of folks experience die-off, even with good stock, as the fish work out a pecking order. Adding new fish re-starts the turf wars and can lead to additional die-off.

Termato

Board of Directors
Hey dHaval, the only reason I didn't go to Discus Hans was because I had a decent amount of credits available with Live Aquaria. I ended up saving a few hundred dollars by ordering from them. Let's just say I'll not be making that mistake again. I'll be going out of my way to get good quality fish from quality sources from here on out. Especially discus.

These are all domestic discus. I have a pair of blue snakeskin, one diamond blue, and a the rest are royal blue.

Becca, thank you for the information. I did notice this happen a few times when I introduced a few new ones. I'll have to be very careful when adding new fish in there, then. I will try waiting a couple of months to let these guys settle, get more discus, QT them and then try re-adding the missing numbers. After I added the last batch, I lost one of my diamond blues because they wouldn't let him eat. The majority of them I lost from internal infections (mostly bacterial) shortly after I got them. Most were healthy, but some just should not have been in their condition. They refunded me, but I'm still very unhappy with the experience.

I want to keep the same colors. All of the discus I have are blue base color and they all have slightly different patterns. The diamond blues are bare flat blue with no lines. The Royal blues have a little green in them and lines. The snakeskin's, well they're snakeskin hahah. I'd like to get more of the snakeskin and the diamond blue to even out the numbers.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hans is definitely the place to go for discus. They'll be healthy, for sure.

Although I've never kept discus myself, I tend to think that folks forget that they are cichlids, and for as regal looking as they are, they can still be quite snarky. You aren't the first person I've seen describe the weakest of the bunch being bullied and being out competed for food.

Good luck with them!

Vinh2o

Members
50 Cardinal or Neon Tetras is a beautiful sight! If you go to the Barnes & Noble in the Harbor by the Baltimore Aquarium they have an Discuss and Tetra tank set up that way . The tank is about 8 feet tall and about 20 feet wide.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Termato

Board of Directors
The Pictures!

I finally got to sit down and get everything set. Had to do some water changes and feed the fish. Please excuse the quality of the images. I took the pictures on my phone really quick and posted them on here.

150G Discus Amazon
I'm getting rid of some floaters today. This is the before picture. This tank has 2 LED bars on top. Blue and white LEDs.
2016-01-19.jpg

75G Iwagumi
This tank is slowly losing it's algae. It's a little dirty in algae sense but I'm working on it.
2016-01-19.jpg

75G Amazon
This is the worst picture ever. This tank looks so much better in person. I'm also getting rid of a lot of these floaters today. This is a before picture.
2016-01-19.jpg

10G Naruto Leaf Village
My girlfriend scaped this tank and she basically runs it. I only remind her about water changes and feeding ;). She has been learning with this tank and it's making great progress.
2016-01-19.jpg

2G Betta Bowl
This is the bowl in the video above. It's newly made as of Saturday and the betta is new to us as of yesterday.
2016-01-19.jpg

2G Emergency QT
This only go in here to be soaked, emergency treatment, or emergency QT. There are plants in there at the moment along with 10 Celestial Pearls who will be moved to a new tank today.
2016-01-19.jpg

I have much better pictures, but I just took these with my phone really quick. Please excuse the quality of the images. Now to move the 50 Cardinals to the 40G Breeder because I just got the heater for it.

Termato

Board of Directors
I took out a lot of photos. I'll post the after pictures today once I get home. I can also post some pictures of the QT tanks so you all can see those fish.

Last night, we decide to put all of the CPDs in the 10 Gallon. So now we have 30 CPDs with 8 shrimp in a 10G. It's a little overstocked but we'll keep an eye on it. Add more plants.

I didn't know where else to put them and I'm afraid if they go into the 150G the discus will eat them

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
I took a little video yesterday of the 150G after I took out some of the floaters and added a new UV filter. Today, I took out the HOB so that giant black tube in the middle is gone. Looks a lot better and the discus like the space.

I'll get a quick video of the 75G as well as I've taken floaters out and raised some rocks which make it look relaly nice. Here it is: 150G Amazon Tank - Discus - Video Youtube

Also, here is a better photo of that tank. Not that great of a photo, but better. You can see the new UV filter in front. It's a SunSun HW-303B.

2016-01-23.jpg

Termato

Board of Directors
I was able to get one of my angel tank today although the color looks a bit off in the filter. I use a few filters in the camera to try to get it closer and you can see the varying views of the tank in this video:

75 Gallon Amazon Angel Tank Video Video of them waiting to be fed, after feeding, and then it shows them being fed. I know, weird order. And for you viewing pleasure, here is the 150 Gallon Discus Tank with the blue LEDs on:

2016-01-23.jpg

Termato

Board of Directors
Our 10 Gallon tank is getting completely over populated with shrimp so I had to do something about it this weekend. I put together this nice little shrimp bowl: Hand Blown Shrimp Bowl

It took a few tries to seal it properly but I finally got it working. I put a tiny little water pump in there and filter media around it. It's working out really well so far. The current is the perfect strength. Now, I just have to wait for everything to grow in. I put in 4 RCS' after I acclimated them down to temperatures over a few days. This is the first day the bowl is set up. We'll see how it goes!

It's about a 2.5G bowl (that other bowl I have I found out is a 1.6G after I measured it. This one is bigger than the 2G bowl I have but I haven't measured the exact size yet).

I'm wondering how many shrimp I can keep in this little bowl. My plan is to not do any water changes as this thing is heavily planted and by the window with very low stocking. I want to just top it off when I have to.

Unfortunately, last night one of my Rummynose tetras jumped out of the tank. I was quite upset. I've been meaning to get full hoods on that tank as only half of it is covered. He was a beautiful little guy. Very upsetting.

I like that you have names for all the tanks. Naruto leaf village is pretty creative haha. I see you have a lot of plants with sand substrate. Have sand too and some plants but want more. Do you do anything special to help them grow.

Termato

Board of Directors
I like that you have names for all the tanks. Naruto leaf village is pretty creative haha. I see you have a lot of plants with sand substrate. Have sand too and some plants but want more. Do you do anything special to help them grow.

Thanks! :) This shrimp bowl has yet to have a name. My girlfriend and I have been watching Naruto recently so that's where the name came from.

I've sand my ups and downs with sand. I first picked it because it was super cheap and easy to get to. None of my big nutrient sucking plants were doing that great in it until I went about it another way. I do one of two things (never both).

1. Use layered substrate where I've had Seachem Flourite underneath of the substrate (I've used their sand and it's very messy so having the normal sand on top of it is much easier and cleaner). I like Flourite because you never have to replace it.
  2. Using root tabs. The first big swords I had in sand exploded with new growth after I started using tabs

I also dose with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive every other day and Seachem Excel every day. The sand just doesn't do a good job of holding on to nutrients so having anything extra helps.

That bowl, though, I plan no not adding any fertz or additives. I want to have it completely self sufficient and maybe eventually work that theory out into one of my bigger tanks!

I havent watched shippuden in a few months. I was every week but the anticipation kills me when they skip a week. I should watch all the ones i missed. Thx for thre info. Im planning on getting seachem flourish but never knew about the flourite. I did not know i could use the tabs in sand.

Nice bowls! you should try philodedron in one of your bowls all it needs is water and no nutrients added. The roots grow realy nice looking. It would be perfect in a bowl. All the roots would make a maze in the bowl, and then the curly vine like stems and leaves would hang over the edges and grow out of the bowl

Termato

Board of Directors
I havent watched shippuden in a few months. I was every week but the anticipation kills me when they skip a week. I should watch all the ones i missed. Thx for thre info. Im planning on getting seachem flourish but never knew about the flourite. I did not know i could use the tabs in sand.

Nice bowls! you should try philodedron in one of your bowls all it needs is water and no nutrients added. The roots grow realy nice looking. It would be perfect in a bowl. All the roots would make a maze in the bowl, and then the curly vine like stems and leaves would hang over the edges and grow out of the bowl

They've finished Shippuden as far as I can tell and they've created the continuation (I wont say anything because of spoilers). I love that show! My girlfriend was the one to name that tank hahaha.

Also, when using Flourite if you do get their sand, it's like soil. It's super messy. I don't think washing it does any good because you just lose more mass. Make sure you put something over it like play sand. The Flourite gravel is absolutely amazing, but some people don't like that look. It collects a lot of sediment easily. Personally, I find Flourite sand with a top layer of play sand easiest to clean. I have tanks with both of these mentioned and the plants all thrive. I only use root tabs on my tanks that just have play sand.

This is my dosing schedule for my two 75G tanks tanks to give you an idea of what I'm doing :
- 5ml of Excel daily
- 5ml of Flourish Comprehensive every other day
- Water changes weekly to replace trace elements

GREAT SUGGESTION ON THE PLANT! Omg! I've been looking for some really good plants like that and I'm going to go out of my way now to get that plant hahahaha. Thanks for that info.