• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Keyhole Cichlids

Hannibal

Members
Well since I had zero luck keeping rams in my 40 breeder I have been looking for something else that I could keep in the tank. I had to make a quick run to Annapolis to pick up a Christmas gift so I figured I would stop by HOT on my way home. I am glad I did. I was walking past their tank and they both popped out of a coconut hut right when I glanced in their tank. I remembered they were peaceful so I checked them out and it appeared to be a male and a female so I chalked it up as fate and bought them. They are about 2" give or take now and have been doing great in the tank. Here are two quick shots I took with my phone. I think both of these pictures are of what I believe to be the male. The fins on the female are more rounded than they are pointy.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Nice fish! I've got 5 keyholes (two pairs and a fifth wheel). Hollyfish has a pair of them, too. They're very peaceful for cichlids.

Mine spawn every few months, but the eggs disappear after a couple of days, and I've never seen free swimmers. Thought I saw wrigglers, but decided to leave them alone. Next time I'll move them.

Matt and I love our keyholes, although they tend (at least in my tank) to be fairly shy. They are not aggressive or particularly active. They will get surprisingly large. Mine are about 4+ inches and their fins will get long trailers on them. apparently it is very hard to tell girls from boys. Mine have not shown any signs of getting down to business.

Hannibal

Members
Sounds like I made a good choice on picking them up. So far they have not really been shy and are usually out and about. I didn't know they were hard to sex I just figured they were like most Acara type fish where the dorsal on the male was more pointed and longer than the female. I am looking forward to watching them grow and hopefully I will get to experience them breeding in my tank. I will see if I can't get better pictures of both of them sometime soon.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the males have longer fins and tend to be bigger, but the differences are not substantial. Sounds like you probably have a pair.