• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best LED lighting for fish

chriscoli

Administrator
I know there are a zillion threads on this, but it seems like the availability of good lighting is constantly changing.

I want to know what you think the best , reasonably priced, LED lighting is for a fish-only (no plants). Specifically....Mbuna, Vics and Peacocks (no, they're not all in the same tank).

I'm tired of getting a light that makes my Blue Mainganos look awesome, but red zebras look gray. Or one where the red on my Vics really pops, but the Blue Mainganos are muddy.

What spectrum do you like? Do I need 2 different bulbs/fixtures on a tank to get good coverage on colors?

Becca

Members
I know there are a zillion threads on this, but it seems like the availability of good lighting is constantly changing.

I want to know what you think the best , reasonably priced, LED lighting is for a fish-only (no plants). Specifically....Mbuna, Vics and Peacocks (no, they're not all in the same tank).

I'm tired of getting a light that makes my Blue Mainganos look awesome, but red zebras look gray. Or one where the red on my Vics really pops, but the Blue Mainganos are muddy.

What spectrum do you like? Do I need 2 different bulbs/fixtures on a tank to get good coverage on colors?
I'll admit, I'd love to know, too. I'm hoping to outfit the fish room with LED's in the next 6 months.

Howie

Members
As per my posted review a few months back, Beamswork makes great LEDs that make all of the colors of my haps and peacocks pop. Got mine off of eBay and they were a great value.

chriscoli

Administrator
unfortunately I've had bad experiences with Beamswork. I won't use them again.

But what about it did you like? What was the spectrum and intensity?

The ones I had produced a decent light (while they worked) but I wouldn't say it made the fish really pop.

Becca

Members
So let me ask a more specific question....what K is best?

Good luck finding K ratings on an LED :-/.

I've got mixed feelings about my own Current Satellite FW+ LED. I think the adjustable color and brightness will make you very happy with the looks of your fish and, if you want, it will grow plants. I've had to send my light back twice now for replacement because some of the RGB diodes got stuck on blue. That said, customer service has managed to keep me happy.

I have a Marineland fixture I bought second hand that has never given me a problem. It's a low-end fixture, but they make fancier ones.

chriscoli

Administrator
I got some Finnex stingray lights (all purpose spectrum)....I like them because of the cost. But they're not very bright in a deep tank and they're not bringing out the best colors.

Howie

Members
unfortunately I've had bad experiences with Beamswork. I won't use them again.

But what about it did you like? What was the spectrum and intensity?

The ones I had produced a decent light (while they worked) but I wouldn't say it made the fish really pop.

I like the intensity to illuminate my 120 extra high, which is a deeper tank (26"). It produces a clean whiter light with the 10,000 K LEDS. I've only had it for a few months and so I have my fingers crossed--I only have it on about 5-6 hours a day. I plan on eventually ordering another one for my 75.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I went to the Aquatic Gardneners/GWAPA Convention and listened to the talk on LED by the BUILD MY LED people. I was impressed and decided to buy some lights from them, http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-products/. If you contact them you can talk with their experts about what you want to do, tank size, spectrum, depth, etc. You can order what you want from them via Batfish Aquatics and save shipping costs.
I expect to get my new lights the first of June.

londonloco

Members
I've switched all my fw tanks over to Sat+, and most recently purchased the new-ish Sat+Pro. I haven't had a problem with any of them (I own 4 in various sizes), and have owned 2 of them for over 2 years. They are bright enough to grow low light plants without algae.

What I don't like about them is the limited control, but for full control, I'd have to put out 4x the amount of money and go with a Radion, which I have never been willing to do.

I do have one I'm not using, a 24" I think. If you'd like to borrow it, shoot me a pm.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
  • This is what I am getting:
  • (2) 48" freshwater planted spectrums, Original Series, 90* lens, silver. This is the Dutch 6300K spectrum for undemanding plants and highlighting red fish
  • (1) Manual Dimming Switch
  • (1) Dimming Splitter Cable

Rasta Fish

Members
I have several led lights from different brand they don't seems to give me what I have with the fluorescent lights As far as bringing out the reds and full color of my fishes that I see with the same fish under my fluorescent lights
I notice they start selling the full spectrum led lights now , i don't want to spend the money on disappointment again...

If you really want to see red colors come out on fish try an Aqueon modular fixture with the BeautyMax light tubes.

With all Beautymax tubes in the fixture the colors really pop. The effect decreases with every white tube (or other tube) you use in conjunction with the BeautyMax but is still noticeable even with one BeautyMax tube.

If you are going to the ACA convention I plan on doing a demonstration with some Peacocks I will be bringing along. The difference will blow your mind.

Andy

Howie

Members
how do the fish look under 10000K?

The 10000K make the fish look vivid and bring out all the distinct coloration as well as the subtle and muted tones. The separate acticnic (sp?) lights also bring out the blues and serve as a night light mode.

chriscoli

Administrator
If you really want to see red colors come out on fish try an Aqueon modular fixture with the BeautyMax light tubes.

With all Beautymax tubes in the fixture the colors really pop. The effect decreases with every white tube (or other tube) you use in conjunction with the BeautyMax but is still noticeable even with one BeautyMax tube.

If you are going to the ACA convention I plan on doing a demonstration with some Peacocks I will be bringing along. The difference will blow your mind.

Andy

Good to know, Andy....I will be at the convention, so I'll keep an eye out for the demo.

chriscoli

Administrator
The 10000K make the fish look vivid and bring out all the distinct coloration as well as the subtle and muted tones. The separate acticnic (sp?) lights also bring out the blues and serve as a night light mode.

That's exactly what I was wondering....If I needed something in the 10000K range plus an actinic.

Howie

Members
That's exactly what I was wondering....If I needed something in the 10000K range plus an actinic.

If you have a deep tank then you definitely need the 10000K with the actinic LEDS. It puts out 9600 lumens which is quite bright IMO. I know that others have had issues with Beamswork, but they appear to be well made and can't report any buyer's remorse yet. Sometimes I leave it on night mode before I go to sleep, and it looks very cool with the blue actinics-it makes the whites glow in the dark of the blazes of my hybrid sulfur head, Ahli and Treefs.