• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AQ2 Happy and sad at the same time.

cichlidshane

Members
I want to thank the club for putting on another good show. I enjoy seeing the tanks and all the different fish and plants people bring.

I bought four fish at AQ2. I got a Brazilian Angelfish pair that so far are doing well in my tank and eating good. I got a Red Empress Male that's doing fine. I got a 5.5 inch Venustus Male that I was happy to find at that size but when I got him home and in my tank I saw he had a jaw deformity that I couldn't see through the bag he was in very well. I really think that if people are going to sell fish that are deformed in any way that it is labeled on the bag the fish is in. I did look at the fish before I bought him but I couldn't see it so I understand it is partly on me. I will say that the vendor did state that his compressiceps had an issue with his mouth and I passed on that fish. I had bad luck getting juvi venustus males the past year so I decided to spend the extra to get a confirmed male with some size to him. While I am not going to get rid of the fish I bought I am not really able to put him in a show tank given the fishes jaw. You can see for yourself in the link below. The picture shows it a bit but if you look at the fish head on you can see it more. I really think that bringing these fish to the shows hurts the quality of the fish at the show in general. They could sell the fish on the forums or craigslist etc. FYI I did pay 30$ for the fish so the price was not bad.

Anyways, if anyone has a Venustus Male that is 4 inches or more that they are willing to sell or trade let me know. I am near Fredericksburg, VA.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Rediwill/library/Cichlids

I feel you, I know where this fish came from and I personally have had issues with this supplier. Some of their stuff is nice but I have been disappointed several times when I opened my order. Not much we can do but move on and give our buisness to someone else. This is what I have chose to do atleast. Sorry about the fish I know the feeling.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Shane,

Thanks for coming to the event! I'm glad you had a good time.

I feel for you. Contact the vender and see if you guys can work something out. As you can imagine, with 50+ people selling fish over the weekend, it would be very difficult for the organizers to police every fish being sold.

If you are unsure of the vender, contact Dan (cichlidaddicted) via PM as it sounds like he knew who you got it from. I would prefer not to turn this into a thread where people start trashing venders.

Hope this did not put a sour taste in your mouth. Looking forward to hopefully seeing you at a meeting sometime soon.

Cheers.

Last edited:

frankoq

Members
I think I saw it and passed because I already had a venustus. Lesson learned to inspect the fish carefully. But it's hard to get a good look when they are already bagged.
My red Empress is doing fine too.

Ading522

Members
Sorry to hear about the fish..but glad you enjoyed the event. As for the vendor, I do know who you mean but would not mention as well.. The vendor did have a list up on the table listing the fish at their prices..as well as explaining why the price was half of on the beautiful compressiceps save the little injury on the chin.. I would have gotten it have I known I may be able to decrease the little callous on the chin over time or at least could have tried.. I do hope this doesn't prevent you from purchasing fish from this vendor as I have had very good experiences with the vendor.. I do expect the fish I receive, and ask about any deformities in which I am told about.. Hope you get to get more fish from other vendors in the club.. If you need some recommendations I may have some local people in mind.. Just let me know.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

If its a genetics issue then I would contact the individual. Could it be something that happened during bagging? Dislocated?
(did not look at you r link yet)

Could also be that the vendor did not notice it. I know I had what I thought was a beautiful fish to show for the ACA in 2011. About a month before the convention I pulled him out of the 90 show I had and put him in a 10 by himself. I then noticed a genetic defect in him. I went back to the display tank and a couple of others had it too. I removed all of the species and put them in my "junk" tank where they lived out their life. I may have never spotted it, if it had not been for pulling one out for the show.

Over all I think the vendor selection was awesome. There was something for every type of fish keeper. After seeing how it was set up I can say it would be impossible to screen every fish that came through the door. I think the vast majority of people selling took the event as a place to sell quality fish to quality keepers. It may be possible that a small few also took the opportunity to unload some stock that hung around the shop for to long. In these cases I did see a fair price drop. Just like any swap meet style sale the buyer is the one responsible for quality control. I would be happy to discuss the details with you through pm. Your not alone I'm sure every hobbyists has taken a fish home only to ask themselves what they were thinking when they bought it. I'm glad you posted this, its a reminder to all of us that this stuff happens. The fish does look very nice otherwise I've grown to love my crooked mouth spilotonus "elvis.

I should also add that this vendor does make very good attempts at customer satisfaction when problems are brought to his attention. Contact him respectfully and he is very nice.

cichlidshane

Members
ty

Thanks for the replies. I will work to resolve the issue with the vendor. If not I will just have to grow out a fish myself and keep looking for one 4-5 inches. I know it is impossible to police the number of bags of fish at the show and I am not wanting to bash any vendor as well since these things do happen.

I will also try to make a meeting. I got a 2yr old at home and a wife that works nights at the hospital so it is a challenge to get out at all :)

Shane

Ahh yes my 2 year old makes things more difficult also. She was a champ at aquamania though. I sent you a reply after the first blank one, sorry about that.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
No there is no way to police individual items.
Like auctions, swapmeets are between you and
the individual selling.
We rent the space and attempt to get buyers and sellers together.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry your unhappy with your purchase. As others have said, contact the seller and see if you can get some resolution.

With respect to the meetings, lots of folks bring their kids of all ages. Come check it out!