• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrid Plant

Typically, hybridized plant only come together when they are of the same species. Are you sure that you don't have Cryptocoryne balansaes, spiralis, or retrospiralis?

Arlene

lkelly

Members
At times I was concerned that my Calvus had hybridized with one of my plastic plants. I came to this tentative conclusion based on the fact that the Calvus didn't really move for the better part of a week. Eventually it opened it's mouth and my fears were put to rest.

chriscoli

Administrator
Zack, there's also a wider-leaved Val that is sometimes sold as well, could you have gotten some of that, perhaps? I have some in one of my tanks too and it's pretty cool.

For plants to have hybridized....both would have had to have bloomed, which you would have probably noticed, and been able to hybridize in the first place.

Becca

Members
If you got val or crypts from me, there's a good chance you had some of the giant val or some crypt balansae in there... I've got a jumble of all sorts of stuff, both of those included.

zackcrack00

Members
The Val's came from an auction months ago.5)2 crypt has been in there since the tank has been set up. It is from Petsmart, so I don't have the species name for it. Yes, there is a possibility that I accidentally have one of the wider-leaved vals in there, but the chances are slim considering I take out the plants and decor every two months to sort, trim, and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jt731

Members
If it's from petsmart is it one of the tissue cultured? If so then there is a high likelihood that the plant was grown emersed or out of water, and is changing it's leaf structure to account for needing a wider area for lights, carbon and even nutrients.

zackcrack00

Members
If it's from petsmart is it one of the tissue cultured? If so then there is a high likelihood that the plant was grown emersed or out of water, and is changing it's leaf structure to account for needing a wider area for lights, carbon and even nutrients.

I still have the original Petsmart plant. This one is different.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Vallisnerias can change form depending on light and access to nutrients. It is more likely a change in the amount of light or the amount of food for the plants (a change in soil or added nutrients) caused the change in appearance of the val.