• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whats going on?

04rwon

Members
New guy here, from Elkridge, MD moving to Orlando, FL end of the month.
Currently running 3 tanks, the fourth awaits us in Florida.

The tanks currently are the mixed cichlid tank, 30 gallon. The tropical community, 20 gallon. The feeder, 2 gallon.

We have the money and majority of the supplies for the 55 just cant get it until we move. We are going to get the marineland 55 gallon led kit. We like those hoods, same we have on the 30 and 20. Were going to run 2 power filters on it. The aquaclear 75 on the 30 and well probably trade the penguin filter for the aqueon 55/75 or another aquaclear 70. The 20 has the aqueon 50, which will go to the 30. Then the 20 becomes the hospital tank. Well probably pick up an aqueon 50 or 30 for that.

How do you keep the hospital tank going without any fish in it though?

rsretep

Members
Use an established filter on the hospital tank,or you could use some cheap "feeder fish" to establish it for you. Another option is they do sell bacteria in a bottle that will help season your filter and tank. Good luck

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep extra sponge filters in tanks so that there are always a few available if needed.

That said, I think that some folks think that nitrifying bacteria are a lot more sensitive than they really are. There's enough waste in your average tank to keep a bacteria colony going for some time.

If in doubt, add an extra small sponge from another tank if/when you add a fish into the hospital tank...

Matt

04rwon

Members
Prices of tanks in Florida are cheaper than here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lol, what isnt cheaper down there.

We are planning the marineland 55 led kit. Petsmart has it, 219.99. They let me exchange the filter in our marineland 20 led kit so im assuming i could do the same thing with the 55 kit. If we can exchange for another aquaclear 70 it would be very easy bc we could run 2 sponges in our current one until that point than both filters have a sponge.

I see what you all are saying with the hospital tank. So if i use the same type of filters on all tanks i can just interchange cartridges/sponges. How bout running medications in the hospital tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
From a medications stand point, if you are worried about putting the filter back into the main tank after treatment, I'd just run a filter with some carbon in it for a few days before returning it. That should remove most, if not all, of many medications.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It would work in a pinch, but remember, the smaller the tank, the quicker the water parameters can swing drastically. In a 2 gallon tank, nitrates can build up pretty quickly. You'd have to stay up on water changes regularly.

04rwon

Members
It would work in a pinch, but remember, the smaller the tank, the quicker the water parameters can swing drastically. In a 2 gallon tank, nitrates can build up pretty quickly. You'd have to stay up on water changes regularly.

Cool, i may use it then. I generally check them every day. Last few days ive really slowed down on it bc i was getting the same results on the 20 and 30.

I would just be puttin my 3/4" firemouth in it. As of now i have 2 minnows and 3 or 4 ghost shrimp in the 2 gallon. I had them quarentined but plan to use them as target fish since i noticed my firemouth was getting picked on by the convict. I doubt anyone will eat them. I tried one in there before and they pretty much ignored it. Poked at it a little but thats it. Better that, than the firemouth.

04rwon

Members
Well, thanks to a member on here i found a 55 gallon with stand. Came with 2 filters and 4 air pumps. Well be upgrading the aqueon filter to the next size up, the 55/75.

I may just get my green terror....