• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

January GWAPA Meeting

Are you intimidated by aquatic plants? Do you want to learn how to grow these beautiful plants? Would you love to learn how to aquascape your tank like Amano?

Then come to the January GWAPA meeting! The first meeting of the new year will be held at Ghazanfar Ghori’s home in Brambleton, VA on January 22nd at 1:00pm. Ghazanfar will share his experience, as well as, exciting new information for the hobby from his private tour at Tropica in Denmark last autumn. In addition, we will have our regular auction. Members and non-members are welcome.

Details can be found on the GWAPA website: www.gwapa.org

Arlene Wagner
GWAPA, Corresponding Secretary

minifoot77

Members
i ended up the unwilling owner of a green spot puffer and would like to put plants in his tank but the specific gravity is at/will be 1.05..... can you find out if anyone has knowledge of brackish plants or if any will work for my set up?

verbal

CCA Members
i ended up the unwilling owner of a green spot puffer and would like to put plants in his tank but the specific gravity is at/will be 1.05..... can you find out if anyone has knowledge of brackish plants or if any will work for my set up?

I am not sure if plants are the best idea. From greenspottedpuffer.net:

fish036.jpg

chris_todd

Members
Water Sprite, Ceratopteris thalicroide will grow in brackish water just fine.

I didn't know that, Kevin! Not surprising, though - that is one tough plant. Hard to kill, and grows quite nicely even if all you do is make googly eyes at it and talk nice to it. You don't even need a substrate, it works great as a floater. And it grows emersed, too, and the form of its emersed leaves is different, which can be quite a cool effect.

I've got a bunch of it, Caleb, let me know if you want some, and I'll bring it to the Feb. meeting.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Water sprite is always free...

...or should be given its truly prodigious growth rate and undemanding requirements. I flush/compost about a half-pound/week. Anybody else needs some do let me know.

chris_todd

Members
Ummm, maybe a Coke and a smile? :) As Avatar points out, the stuff is a friggin weed, I can almost always spare some, and I can't imagine charging for it.

And while I don't know how it would do in brackish water, I bet guppy grass would be worth a try as well. And probably vals.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org