• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

To the future. With a stop at the beginning.

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
I've had a great fish geek "career"…I get to speak about geeky fish topics all over the world. It's cool, but you can'st really appreciate the whole thing until you've experienced one of those “Oh, so you think the life of a fish geek speaker is glamorous?†-type weekends. The kind where you spend 14 hours traveling and 34 hours on the ground. Fun if you like airplanes and airports (which I do), but not really "glamorous!" I love this stuff!

I recall an event I was at recently, which left a lasting impact on me. The event was awesome, but, like all of them, it was over far too quickly! You realize the value of information sharing in the hobby at these events. I’m always reminded of both the thirst for information that exists in the hobby, as well as the culture that surrounds it. The culture of sharing and teaching. Pretty darned cool. For new hobbyists, there is a lot of support out there if you want it. In forums, local clubs, fish stores...and even, blogs. It always hits home for me when people tell me how much they enjoyed my blog about “______†a few weeks back…people will sometimes even quote lines to me...woah. Causes me to realize the responsibility I have when discussing topics here.

Anyways, I shared the speaking bill on that particular weekend with a local hobbyist, who gave a great talk on the “Fundamentals of the Reef Aquarium.†At first, you’d think that the is the LAST thing you need to talk about to experienced reefers…Nothing could be further from the truth. Both the speaker and I were totally blown away by the total hunger for seemingly "basic" hobby information. After both of our presentations, the amount of questions we fielded on stuff that would be considered “primary†reef keeping- aquarium keeping- technique was overwhelmingly disproportionate to more advanced topics discussed in the talks.(click to read more)