• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What did you get at the catfish convention auction?

chriscoli

Administrator
For the record, its almost 6:30 and the auction is still going on.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
A pair of Frank's Electric Blue Rams, some assassin snails, some wild caught neon tetras, and 3 Corydoras Loxozonus. And an Eheim 217 and two Cobalt heaters.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ho-hum

4 Polypterus delhazi were sold for about $25-30 each, gorgeous fish (that look more like dragons than dragons) and if they didn't get as big as one's arm with a predatory appetite to match, but well, they do. As such, those and the threadfin rainbows were the coolest things I saw that I didn't try and buy.

I brought home two pair of red snakeskin guppies, and juvenile groups of Geo. red-head tapajos from Matt, some other groovy red Geo. species from JC, Pelviachromis taeitiana "Moliwe", orange chromides, Cryptoheros myrnae (also from Mr. Quinn), L129 and L399 Hypancistrus, as well as a male Apisto Pebas (and now have an extra pair for someone) and an adult pair of Raphael catfish, and about a half dozen plants (Anubias, Riccia, Telanthera, Anubias, Azolla, and some Anubias). And apple/white mystery snails. And a used one of those new-style Fluval HOBs that everyone was fussing over awhile back. I think I'm sated, and that I am OK with this event only happening every other year. :D

There's something maybe to be said for skipping the first 6-8 hours and just showing up when the auctioneer is begging people to bid a dollar or two on bags of angels, swords (fish and plants), African cichlids, etc. as there were some pretty amazing deals even before the lots left in the auction outnumbered bidders by about 10 to 1. :D

Good day and another stellar job by PVAS (no surprise there) and affiliates (Bill B. & Andy B. in particular). Thanks gang.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
From the auction: sterbai cories, L129, coffee & cream plecos, tequila sunrise guppies, Used AC110, crypt affinis, a liverwort, hairgrass (2 varieties).

Other: cryptoheros myrnae and Mongo bay HRPs from Matt, three tanks from Glass Cages, poret foam & lifters, pleco caves.

Sounds like some good gets. I was very happy with my anubias, assasin snails and something-or-other-fancy white clouds from Rachel, mustard-spot BNs from Jesse and some pleco/syno/apisto caves.

chriscoli

Administrator
Ok, lessee....from the auction I got some L279s, Ancistrus triradiatus, three different goodeids (that I don't already have), a lovely group of L400s, several plants including a boat-load of vals, dragon's tongue java fern, bolbitus, azolla, water lettuce (it was a dollar for a big bag so what the heck), two 15 gal tanks with lid and lights, two different used HOB's.

I had a great time, PVAS did a fantastic job, and I can't wait for the next one!

Plus, I did my usal raid of South Central Cichlid's table, picked up some more poret, and got a pair of L255s and a group of L28s during the 3rd floor shopping spree.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Blue shrimp, brown farlowellas, black corys and some green java. Must have been focused on colors. Crazy long auction. Great bargains at the end of the day.

chriscoli

Administrator
Planetcatfish to the rescue!

I'll definitely be doing some homework!

L279 Ancistrus Sp Huacamayo: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1647

Ancistrus triradiatus: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=883

L255 Spotted Medusa Pleco: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=705

L400 Hypancistrus sp. : http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1856

L028 Hypancistrus sp. Angelicus Pleco: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=10

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Retail therapy

That's right – every time I thought that maybe I was getting carried away I just glanced at Chris's ever-swelling sprawling mound of acquisitions and if that wasn't enough there was that edgy ever-present glint in her eyes and the nefarious smile that accompanies visions of aquatic splendor...

Lesson: She's good company at a sale, more so if you feel like stepping out/up.

:D

chriscoli

Administrator
Well, and how can I turn down a 5 dollar 15-gallon tank with light and lid? I HAD to take it home with me!

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
4 Polypterus delhazi were sold for about $25-30 each, gorgeous fish (that look more like dragons than dragons) and if they didn't get as big as one's arm with a predatory appetite to match, but well, they do. As such, those and the threadfin rainbows were the coolest things I saw that I didn't try and buy.

Thanks Sam. I am pissed I missed the auction for PT work and didn't get paid.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Unfortunately I couldn't stick around too long for the auction, so I didn't pick up anything there. I did get a group of L066's on Friday night, as well as some cortezi swordtails, some zebra nerites and some nannacara juvies from Sam.

It was a blast of a weekend. Good job PVAS.

Azraphael

Members
I guess I'll start saving for my plane ticket and somehow get an import/export license for the next show, got two years to work on it :p

Wish we had events like yours, I would be divorced and broke lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
mustard-spot BNs from Jesse

They are Panaqolus albomaculatus(LDA031). They aren't Bristlenose plecos.

The Panaqolus genus isn't widely adopted in the scientific community, but it is very helpful for aquarists. Basically it tells you that a catfish is a small/medium wood eating catfish. Other members of the genus are clown plecos, L204(flash plecos) and L002(which I think Tony just got). Other than wood and temps a little on the higher side, they should be pretty normal in requirements.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
6:30 and was still going?
Sounds like a good auction to me.

Longest one I ever went to was my first OCA.
No dry goods allowed and it ran from 10am to around 1:30 or 2am. Nothing but cichlids and catfish.
I always loved sitting through auctions. Wish I had been there.