• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

treating hexamita in angelfish

cmcpart0422

Members
A few of my angelfish have shown signs of having this and I was wondering what treatments people recommend? I am currently dosing the tank with metro at roughly 22mg per gallon. Symptoms include white stringly poop, external white bumps on fins(not ick like), loss of appetite, and bloated stomach. I have done some research online and found that hexamita is common in angelfish but no site or forum that i could find had a regimen. All I could find was up the temp to 85-90 and dose metro two to three times a day. Questions I have:

1. Is 22mg per gallon of metro twice a day sufficient?
2. How long should I keep up treatment?
3. Is metro alone good enough to cure the fish?
4. Should I add salts of any type?

Thanks!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
From what I understand, metro alone will not adhere to the slime coat. I have mixed it in food or used it in other products, such as API General Cure.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
The recommended treatment for Hexamita / Spironucleus is metronidazole (Flagyl). Metronidazole can be administered in a bath at a concentration of 5 mg/L (18.9 mg/gallon) every other day for three treatments. Medicated feed is even more effective at a dosage of 50 mg/kg body weight (or 10 mg/gm food) for five consecutive days. See also IFAS Fact Sheet VM-67 , Management of Hexamita in Ornamental Cichlids .

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041#IMAGE FA:FA041F10

YSS

Members
I've had success treating what appears to be hex in discus with heat. Slowly crank up the heat to 96 and leave the fish in the tank for five days. Not sure if it will work with angels, but I don't see why not.