• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FX6 question

jstlstn

Members
Thinking about changing my filter on a 125 to a FX6. The reason I am changing is my sun sun and EXT canister filters are not getting the job done. I have a lot of particulates in my water column. The sun sun works great on my 55 thought that and an EXT would be fine. For those that use the FX6 how often are you changing the filter pads and are there any DIY pad ideas floating around. Any help would be most welcome.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have two FX5s (which I believe is essentially the same filter as the FX6) running on my 180. I use the standard sponges that come with the filter and no pads in the baskets. My water stays clear for 4-5 months between cleanings.

I don't run any of the polishing pads, as I think they would get clogged very quickly on my set up.

you should not have to replace sponges very often as long as you wring them out of all debis regularly(depends amount of fish, food etc. youll get a feel for it) For example i take apart and clean my fluval canisters on my 75g every 1-2 months about, always washing all parts in old tank water in a bucket from a water change(sameday). You might not have to do it that often but i prefer to!

What ive learned that most people do on this forum is:
-in hob and canister filters only use mechanical filtration(supplied ssponge) & biological filtration (your choice of bio media)
-put your carbon packs aside and save them for other uses (extraction of meds)
-use a secondary form of filtration to aid your filter and act as a back up (most popular sponge filter on air pump, its great for polishing and also hold bio mater)
-most importantly very frequent high volume water changes (i do about 50-75% a week)

it works great for me. Unless my filter sponge was deteriorating I've never replaced it. You don't have to replace or clean bio media. Just take 25 mins and wring everything out, swoosh the bio baskets in some tank water. I like to clean my impeller and housing with a little brush, and scrape the intake and outputs sometimes.

hope that was helpfull, MDB

p.s. what ever the filter may be, the ritual seems to be the same (in my experience).

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Like Mason said, the sponges shouldn't have to be replaced often. I've been running both of mine for 5+ years and have never replaced the sponges. Just rinse them out during cleaning and they are good to go. I'm sure the eventually will degrade over time, but I haven't seen that yet.

Howie

Members
I have two FX5s running on my 120 and 75. The botton media trays are filled with plastic pot scrubbers and the middle and top trays with biomax. (I also put some crushed coral in a fine mesh laundry bag in the top tray for my 75)

If you use PFS I would strongly advise that you clean impeller periodically as well--PFS will lock up your motor if you don't.

The sponges last forever. No need for polishing pads or polyfill--as Jon said, they will clog quickly and will reduce flow.