• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whole house water filter Question

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I just bought a whole house water filter system from "Rain Soft"being installed tomorrow. It has a carbon filter and a conditioner . Is there any problem with using this water in my fishroom? There is also a RO unit being installed but that's at the kitchen sink only.

JLW

CCA Members
There shouldn't be any. I don't know what the "conditioner" is or what it is supposed to do. The carbon filter will likely remove a lot of your chlorine, possibly negating the need for a dechlorinator. A softener may remove a lot of the calcium and magnesium that you may want in there -- you may find you're having to add some sort of buffers to the water.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Yes the conditioner/softener is the part that removes the Calcium and magnesium and other elements not wanted in your house water. Ph will remain the same. Thank you Josh.

JLW

CCA Members
Depending on how efficient it is, you may find you're having trouble maintaining a good pH, and your water may be too soft for some fishes. Keep in mind that it also adds sodium to the water.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
City Water. I'm keeping African cichlids Peacocks and haps. some bristle nose plecos and a few guppies. I did ask about PH sales guy said no change .

JLW

CCA Members
You'll probably experience little or no pH change directly out of the faucet. However, your KH will be significantly lower. This means that you'll have trouble maintaining that higher pH in the presence of acids, which biological activity in the tank will produce. Without the higher KH, particularly in a Rift Lake tank, you're going to have a lot of trouble keeping the pH high. You'll have to add some buffers back into the water, and remember that those Rift Lake cichlids like the high levels of Mg and Ca anyhow.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I just tested my tap water now after the system has been running for 24 hrs.
Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 GH 0 ppm Chlorine 0 KH 250 ppm PH 8.8,
The way I see it and from what I've read I need to go back to raw water from city.
I'll need to run a water line from the raw water or just put a bypass in front of the new filters.