• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fry from OB x Aulonocara maylandi

I am currently raising about 25 aulonocara maylandi x female ob fry. I was curiouse if anyone knows what the male/ female fry might look like. Right now they have their bars and black beady eyes. Any ideas??? Cant find any pics online.

Any imput is appreciated.

1414096024627.jpg

1414096113544.jpg

1414096169358.jpg

1414096555971.jpg

Your male is not a maylandi
Not sure what they will look like hard to say

I call him a sulphur head peacock. In my first post in the introduction forum i took pics and someone called him a maylandi. If you know the proper name why didnt you post it ?????

P.s.- Tighten up

What you have is an apache peacock. Mara rocks is different from that fish. An apache is basically any fish that has a blaze but was created by hybridization. Ive seen them range from grey to blue to purple with white, yellow or orange blazes.

Sent from my SM-S890L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

If you only knew how foolish you sounded. I can tell you with 100% certainty you absolutely do not have a protomelas.

http://www.borstein.com/sam/images/Protomelas_spilonotus.jpg

This is a decent pic of a real mara rocks. I should add a "sulfer head hap" isn't the same thing. A sulfer head hap is usually just a random hybrid with a blaze. Alot of the pics you see when you google mara rocks aren't actually mara rocks at all just random hybrids called sulfer head haps. I have one right now looks alot more like a mara rock than yours but still isn't. I hope your not going to sell them and of you do atleast let people know exactly what they are.

The apachies i see have the yellow running down their dorsal. Mine is white. Idk i do my best to research and get correct names. Whatever

No i dont sell my fish.

impression? lol

Hang on, im from the show me state. Connect a link to a pic of my fish, jouvenile & adult because i raised him, and lets see a "blaze" like mine. i got him from segrest farms.

This is only a debate. I have allready had other people give me incorrect names/ info. Before i do that again and start calling him a blaze, going off your word, show me.

Im not trying to be, it just seems to me like the people on this forum are all trying to correct people when they dont have any visual proof, just words. Where are the pics? explain and show the class some evidence. All i am politely asking. :)

neut

Members
There's more than one legitimate fish with the sulfur/sulphur head nickname, including what some call 'sulfur head (or crested) lithobates'. So 'sulfur head' is in the eye of the beholder as far as what fish it means, depends the circles you travel in, what the seller called the fish, etc., and it's relatively meaningless to the actual species name by which the fish should be identified. Sulfur head peacock is Maylandi according to anything I've seen. Similar looking Malawis aren't always easy to ID from a screen image. Color on the screen isn't always 100% accurate, color may vary with mood, egg spots may vary with individual, all of the above plus blaze may vary with specific location a particular strain originated from, or, depending where they were sold, there's the possibility of a fish with crossed genes in its lineage, etc. etc.

As far as OB peacocks crossed with other fish, it's happened to me a couple of times-- not by design. Technically, OB peacocks are already a hybrid and this plus the not uncommon Malawi cichlid willingness to spawn with whatever other Malawi is in the tank when mates of its own species aren't available, and occasionally even when they are... and there you are. From what I've seen fry will generally be a mix of OB individuals and individuals that are a less pure, less attractive version of whatever the other fish was.

For some years I bred several peacock species, bred some OBs for a while, and, based on what I saw on the occasions it happened, crossing OBs with other fish doesn't especially give you something you can't selectively breed from OB parents anyway. Since they're a man made strain in the first place it's not like you're corrupting a pure fish from the lake on the OB side of it, but on the other side, whatever species the other fish is, you get lower quality versions of a no longer pure species-- if all of that makes sense.

Last edited:
Hmm , i see. Yea that makes sense. I really appreaciate the info.
Just curiouse, do maylandi usually have that slightly visable black line on the sides by the tail running horizontally ?
i guess they vary as to how far back the yellow goes onto the dorsal?

Last edited:
Maylandi should have have no horizontal markings. There are several haps with horizontal lines or spots (protomelas, copadichromis, otopharynx.....) there are several fish in each one of those genus with some type of blaze. Including the copadicromis there are atleast 15 with a yellow white or orange blaze. They are commonly confused sometimes intentionally and then they cross breed and get passed along as something they are not. I have one of those fish from singapore that was full color at one inch. it has since become pretty unbelievable the blaze goes almost down to its horizontal markings. Awesome fish looks alot like a mara rocks but has been 6" for a year and no mara rocks has a blaze like him. I'll post a pic when I get home. I have two pics of Asian fish you may benifit from seeing.