• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mass die off

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Becca, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you get it snorted out quickly. Thanks again for the albino Bushy's, all are doing well.
Jim

npbarca

Members
Is the ulcers/skin trauma red and bare looking with white stuff around it? That happened to 2 of my keyholes, and one ended up with a hole in its head. Both died after a week of treatment, but I don't know if some skin ulcers or fungus could kill that quickly. Sorry to hear, hang in there!!!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
They were 0. I tested water taken from the rank before the water change. It's heavily planted.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

In a heavily planted tank, it is likely to have 0 nitrates. Did you check kh?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I haven't, I only have a GH test. Tank is tap with occasional rain water, never more than 20 percent.

So far as I can tell, no new deaths this AM.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Did a thorough check and definitely no new casualties this AM.

My going theory is that plant overgrowth crowded the water surface and, in combination with the pimafix and melafix, and possibly a spray bar coming detached and falling below surface level, led to reduced oxygen. The fish that were most stressed or most needed oxygen probably were the first to go and the "picked at" appearance of some of the fish likely is a result of other fish picking at them as they were weak or already dead.

I do think there is some ongoing aggression from the pair of Cupidos, but some of the bodies we found did not have a mark on them.

All fish are active, breathing normally, etc. this morning. Not surprisingly, given the size of the water change, I'm seeing spawning behavior in the BNPs and the cory cats in the tank. I'm just going to have to keep a close eye on things and maybe convince Jeremy that we need to install a couple of airlines to protect against stuff like this.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Seems logical - and that everything's back to normal.

Matt

Did a thorough check and definitely no new casualties this AM.

My going theory is that plant overgrowth crowded the water surface and, in combination with the pimafix and melafix, and possibly a spray bar coming detached and falling below surface level, led to reduced oxygen. The fish that were most stressed or most needed oxygen probably were the first to go and the "picked at" appearance of some of the fish likely is a result of other fish picking at them as they were weak or already dead.

I do think there is some ongoing aggression from the pair of Cupidos, but some of the bodies we found did not have a mark on them.

All fish are active, breathing normally, etc. this morning. Not surprisingly, given the size of the water change, I'm seeing spawning behavior in the BNPs and the cory cats in the tank. I'm just going to have to keep a close eye on things and maybe convince Jeremy that we need to install a couple of airlines to protect against stuff like this.

Becca

Members
Seems logical - and that everything's back to normal.

Matt

Yeah, although I generally believe that the strongest possibility is a single cause of both the "bite marks" and the deaths, I can't think of one that accounts for both.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Aim the spraybar so as to provide more surface agitation. You might not then need the venturi.

Blaise

Becca

Members
Aim the spraybar so as to provide more surface agitation. You might not then need the venturi.

Blaise

We've done that for the time being, although they were already aimed like that.

I'm concerned that the suction cups came loose and they slipped too low without us noticing.

It's a deep tank, so the venturi is probably a good buy.