• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sentimental Journey? Or just a box of old fish stuff?

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
So you know I'm blabbing on and on about this new tank thing I'm embarking on, right?

Well, part of the process for me involves going through that big 'ol stash of "stuff" I've accumulated over a lifetime of aquarium-keeping...seeing if there is anything worth salvaging or repurposing for my new projects...Yeah, liquid test reagents and food samples from 2002 need not apply...

I was digging through my 'box of fish junk" the other day (we ALL have one, right?), looking for some ridiculous thing I needed...and of course, it made me stop and reflect...(click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Wasn't that the box that the Yeti was stored in from the movie, "Creepshow"? :)

Over the years I've sought to move toward simplicity (fewer moving parts, less heterogeneity of equipment, less stuff that needs messing with), energy efficiency (less power consumption) while improving the care of my fish.

As a result, I'm able to maintain and breed a bunch of cool fish in a 50+ tank fishroom with only a couple of hours of maintenance per week...and electrical consumption for our household firmly in Pepco's "good" category (i.e. benchmarked against houses of similar size / number of human occupants).

I've accumulated no shortage of fish stuff. A lot is in boxes and bins in my garage. And a lot of it is still "good" - just not what I use anymore. Power filters. Canister filters. Water pumps. Heaters. Gravel. The pipes, etc. from the water change system in my prior fishroom. A bunch of "dump" filters. And lots and lots of spare parts, old impellers, etc.

Honestly, most of the stuff I'm not going to use again. Clearing it out

I could try selling it piece by piece for a few bucks. Or put it good use. I've donated a bunch of *working* stuff to beginning hobbyists. As part of donations to the PVAS "Give a Kid a Tank" program. Mystery boxes for our club auctions, etc. Each of us could probably raise a few bucks (or more) for our favorite fish club and/or charity with unwanted fish stuff sitting around the garage or basement!

I also don't trust used (or many new) heaters. I always cringe when I see used heaters for sale or even donation. No bueno.

Matt

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Wasn't that the box that the Yeti was stored in from the movie, "Creepshow"? :)

Over the years I've sought to move toward simplicity (fewer moving parts, less heterogeneity of equipment, less stuff that needs messing with), energy efficiency (less power consumption) while improving the care of my fish.

As a result, I'm able to maintain and breed a bunch of cool fish in a 50+ tank fishroom with only a couple of hours of maintenance per week...and electrical consumption for our household firmly in Pepco's "good" category (i.e. benchmarked against houses of similar size / number of human occupants).

I've accumulated no shortage of fish stuff. A lot is in boxes and bins in my garage. And a lot of it is still "good" - just not what I use anymore. Power filters. Canister filters. Water pumps. Heaters. Gravel. The pipes, etc. from the water change system in my prior fishroom. A bunch of "dump" filters. And lots and lots of spare parts, old impellers, etc.

Honestly, most of the stuff I'm not going to use again. Clearing it out

I could try selling it piece by piece for a few bucks. Or put it good use. I've donated a bunch of *working* stuff to beginning hobbyists. As part of donations to the PVAS "Give a Kid a Tank" program. Mystery boxes for our club auctions, etc. Each of us could probably raise a few bucks (or more) for our favorite fish club and/or charity with unwanted fish stuff sitting around the garage or basement!

I also don't trust used (or many new) heaters. I always cringe when I see used heaters for sale or even donation. No bueno.

Matt

Awesome idea, Mark- DONATING used stuff to a worthy cause. Sure beats it collecting dust and cobwebs for all eternity!

Thanks for sharing!

Scott