• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filter media question

Another question I have is about chemical filtration. Most of what I have ready suggests that it's not nessisary and can even take nutrients out of the water. My filter already has mechanical sponge, bio foam, bio media. But on the upper baskets it comes pre supplied with carbon and polishing pads.

On my old filter once the carbon pack was finnished I just replaced it with a finer bio media than I already had in it and put some generic polishing pad in.

I guess my question is if I only run mechanical and bio filtration am I lacking anything essential? My tank has sand substrate live plants and a breeding filter for extra filtration

What do you like putting in your filters i wild like to know?

I only have a basic test kit for low range ph and amonia.

My amonia level is 0 ppm, and my ph seems to be at 7.6 or maby a tad bit higher. My test stops at 7.6. I have not tested it for anything else but all my fish seem to he happy heathy and colorful.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't typically use any kind of chemical filtration. The only time I use it is if I am trying to remove medicine from a tank after treatment (and I've only done that once or twice).

I think you are in good shape with mechanical and bio.

JLW

CCA Members
+1 what Jon said. I don't see any point in running carbon or other chemical media unless you have a specific need for it.

chriscoli

Administrator
Agreed. You might want to get a high-range pH kit also depending on what kind of fish you're keeping....but I think you hit the major point, "my fish seem to he happy healthy and colorful."

Okay that's exactly what I want to hear! No buying carbon for me. I will be buying a full range test kit for myself for xmas though! And maby some extra bio media and what not.

Thinking about trying a new type of bio media, Seachem Matrix. Anyone have experience with it? Suggestion for a DIY media bag, or one to buy. All the bags on amazon seem to have zippers or something like that. I don't want metal in there.

Also my filters have an extra empty basket. Im wondering if i should just throw more bio in. or use filter floss or polishing filter pad cut to fit. Will that reduce flow? I do 50% WC weekly if not sooner so maby the polishing is pointless...

Thx, want to know what the pro's do hehe =)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I use pond matrix in many of my filters. It is larger aggregate than the regular matrix, but about half the price. I have it both in canisters and in bags in HOB aqua clears. Works well.

Media bags are cheap from most on line retailers. Check YFS or Kensfish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Howie

Members
I make my own media bags. Dollar Store sells mesh laundry bags and plastic zip ties. I cut the mesh bags to size and fill with my biomax and zip tie each end.

MarkK

CCA Members
Carbon only lasts a few days until it adsorbs whatever it can adsorb. (I'm not really sure why they call it adsorb and not absorb but that is a question for the languages forum).

I use it for heavily stocked tanks to adsorb whatever it adsorbs, but I agree with others that it is not really necessary. I guess I might just use it out of habit.

chriscoli

Administrator
Carbon only lasts a few days until it adsorbs whatever it can adsorb. (I'm not really sure why they call it adsorb and not absorb but that is a question for the languages forum).

I use it for heavily stocked tanks to adsorb whatever it adsorbs, but I agree with others that it is not really necessary. I guess I might just use it out of habit.

Adsorb vs. absorb describes how the particles stick/integrate to the material from a chemical point of view:

Absorption - "Assimilation of molecular species throughout the bulk of the solid or liquid is termed as absorption."

Adsorption - "Accumulation of the molecular species at the surface rather than in the bulk of the solid or liquid is termed as adsorption."

There are more differences between the two processes as well, (how reversible the association is, how they chemically happen, etc.) but this is the basic idea.

lkelly

Members
Adsorb vs. absorb describes how the particles stick/integrate to the material from a chemical point of view:

Absorption - "Assimilation of molecular species throughout the bulk of the solid or liquid is termed as absorption."

Adsorption - "Accumulation of the molecular species at the surface rather than in the bulk of the solid or liquid is termed as adsorption."

There are more differences between the two processes as well, (how reversible the association is, how they chemically happen, etc.) but this is the basic idea.

Here's a more simplified breakdown that isn't so nerdy.

Absorption
abs.jpg

Adsorption
2610-MegaBillboardLandCopy1.jpg

KRUCIAN KING

Members
You can use lava rock in one of those baskets its a great alternative to matrix its a great bio media at a fraction of the cost.

just bought seachem pond matrix media on kens fish for only $21. thats over 10 dollars cheaper than amazon. i love that website now lots of good deals!!

so im setting up my qt tank today. yesterday i put a sponge filter into my established tank to get it cycled for the qt. Is over night long enouph to get a good about of bio stuff into that sponge?. I will only b running a sponge filter on the tank? Should i also put my established tank water into the qt for the new fish today, and do WC after the fish are in there for a day?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Don't use dirty water for QT. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, not in the water column. If they were in the water, you'd lose them every time you did a water change.

Typically, I use 2 weeks as a rule of thumb for a new filter to become "seeded" in an established tank. Overnight may start things moving, but it won't be seeded. You could take your established media and squeeze the "gunk" out of it into the QT tank to try and get something going that way.

If you have multiple filters on your main tank, move one to the QT tank and leave the sponge in the main tank. You'll have BB on the other established filter and the sponge will help make up for the difference short term.

Don't use dirty water for QT. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, not in the water column. If they were in the water, you'd lose them every time you did a water change.

Typically, I use 2 weeks as a rule of thumb for a new filter to become "seeded" in an established tank. Overnight may start things moving, but it won't be seeded. You could take your established media and squeeze the "gunk" out of it into the QT tank to try and get something going that way.

If you have multiple filters on your main tank, move one to the QT tank and leave the sponge in the main tank. You'll have BB on the other established filter and the sponge will help make up for the difference short term.

okay looks like i wont have my qt "bin" set up in time... unless i can set up a canister onto a sterelite bin hehe. but i atleast have a 10g thats already cycled (switched aqua clear sponges from old to new filter) so that will have to do.