• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Are 20 Gallons Highs useful in a Fish Room?

Vinh2o

Members
What is a 20 Gallon High useful for in a Fish Room containing Mbuna & Peacocks. Currently my smallest grow out tanks have been 40 Breeders. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's useful for growing out fry and for keeping shellies. Of course also big enough for lots of non-cichlids.

I wouldn't keep adult peacocks or mbuna in a 20H long term. Not a lot of hiding space in 24"!

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
40 breeders are the best grow-outs since you can grow a lot of groups all the way to adulthood.

Depending on the layout of your space if the question is 3x20Hs vs. 1 40 breeder - the 20s will give you a lot more options.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have 6 20h's that I use for grow out but they are the middle step for me.
I use 5s to hold the fry for first couple weeks. If I have two batches of the same
type that are close in size I then put the 2 groups from the 5's into a 10 gallon for a month or 2.
I then take 2 batchs of the same fry from 2 10's and put them into a 20.
Finally they go to the 40 longs or 55's
Sounds confusing? LOL That way I have 3 or 4 different sizes of fry going at the same time for some of my peacocks. (not all. not enough room) So larger fry don't pick on the smaller fry so much.

I do not use the 20's for breeding. Like Matt said, too close.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree with what others have said. The only time I breed fish in a 20 high is with smaller New Worlds in a tank that is permanently divided. I've bred several different convict variants this way. The fish are able to spawn through the divider and there is no chance that the female gets thrashed by an angry, horny male.

20H are also useful tanks for growing out male fish to show. Place a divider in and you can grow out two males.

I have one in my fish room but I use it for growing plants.