• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Sponge Filter Uplift tubes?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have a bunch of Hydro sponge filters, and I'm missing uplift tubes for some of them. Anyone know a good DIY solution to make more? I'm assuming its just a matter of finding the right diameter rigid tubing, but wanted to ask if anyone had found something.

thedavidzoo

Members
This is really cheesy:blush:, but I needed a shorter tube for a shallower fry tank and just rolled up some clear, semi-rigid plastic sheet (repurposed from some other project or an insert on food box fronts, etc.) in the length I needed, tied it together with string, zip-tie, whatever, and wedged it on top. Worked just fine...might be a short term solution.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Are the lift tubes really needed? I don't have them installed on half my sponges.

Yes and no. They are not needed but can be helpful at directing bubble stream allowing for a "better" up draft and pull. I don't think it's by much - and there are so many different things that can be factored in like bubble sizes (air-stone or without) how much pressure is being pushed through(pump size) ohhh and stocking etc...

like Jon I have them on some filters (less than half) and have not noticed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jmty

Members
i think i got some somewhere i do not use those,will look and save for you,got your covers too.

JLW

CCA Members
Simplest solution. Get a 10' length of PVC pipe for about 2$. Cut it about 2-3" taller than your sponge. Put a PVC cap on the bottom, and drill a bunch of holes in the pipe just bigger than a piece of airline tubing, over the bottom halfish. Stick the airline tubing into one of hte lower holes, if you really want, put a stone on it. Cap the tube, stick it into the sponge, and you're done.