• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ideas for Hinge and Handle for Glass Top

Howie

Members
The plastic hinges on glass tops usually break over time. Besides duct tape, any other methods for hinging?

Also, what is an alternative handle idea to flip open the glass top door? Does anybody have a spare plastic handle laying around?

Thanks!

lkelly

Members
Howie, I have success using silicone. Put your two pieces of glass down on the floor (out of the way - they will need to dry for a day or two) right next to each other. You can leave a tiny gap if you want but not too wide. Take masking tape and mark off the edge about 1/2"-3/4" away from the butting ends. Put on some rubber gloves (saran wrap over your fingers in a pinch) and squeeze out a nice thick bead of silicone along the joint. Take your fingers and smooth it out overlapping the tape a bit. You can leave a slightly higher point along the butt joint but not too much. Do this by using pressure and the gap between two fingers. If you were too look at it from the side you'd see a very small elevation in the middle. Be careful not to make this too big or you will have trouble getting the glass to stay in the open position. Pull off the tape as soon as you are done and let it dry.

I usually have success with this as long as I don't make the mounded ridge too big. Typically lasts at least a few years. It's also very cheap plus it has the marginal benefit of being reasonably transparent (assuming clear silicone) if you have a light above.

Not my idea of course, but I did read it on the World Wide Web using my Netscape browser.

Forester

Members
I got the handles for like a buck at Dr's foster and smith.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Matt - thanks for posting the link. I knew we had a thread about this years ago and was just about to go search for it...

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Not beautiful but functional, electrical tape, the black stuff, works well as a hinge in wet places. Just has to be dry to put the tape in place, but after that it lasts for years. I use to use it for lids on killiefish tanks and to hold the lids in place.

But if you want the original look, I am sure you can buy most any length of the original type hinge on-line. Try THAT FISH PLACE or DrFOSTERANDSMITH.

Local breeder uses the plastic caps from soda bottles siliconed down upside down to the lids as handles. Actually works really well.

You can make hinges using silicone on clean dry glass.

1. Clean and dry the glass.
2. Run a piece of masking tape parallel to the edges of the two glass pieces about 1/2" in from the edge.
3. Put a small spacer on the ends of each glass between the two panel edges. A single penny on each side works ok but something with a lower profile that's either metal or plastic is fine. Avoid paper or cardboard as it will stick to the silicone and be difficult to remove.
4. Push the panels together with the spacer separating them. Use two bar clamps close to the edges on each side to secure.
5. Run a thick bead of silicone down the crack between the two panes of glass. Do not push it into the crack but let it lay down on top. You want a THICK bead of silicone.
6. Use a putty knife to smooth out the silicone and flatten it out towards the tape lines run down either side. Again, don't push it into the crack. You want it to spread out laterally. Hold the putty knife a little off the glass. You want it to leave the silicone there, not scrape it away.
7. Remove the tape from each side to give a nice clean edge.
8. Wait 24 hours before unclamping the panes.
9. It's all done. The silicone will act like a hinge for the glass. It won't last as long as a plastic hinge but it will be nice and flexible, transmit more light, and is very simple to clean off and replace.

Howie

Members
Thanks for the wealth of information everyone! I have some clear silicone left over from my bathroom remodel that will come in handy.

The soda cap handle idea will work.

If anyone comes across a spare handle they can part with then please let me know.

I have given up replacing broken hinges because none last long. Glass top does not need hinges to be functional, just lift it up and slide forward to feed the fish or do WC. Without the hinges, the top is easier to clean as there is no hiding places to trap dirt.

I use the plastic back strips for the glass canopy as a handle. Cut a 2" wide piece slide it on the front glass edge and bend it up.