• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

SteindachnerI spawn..maby!

Noticed this morning the black stressed makings on my female steindachneri. When I looked closer I saw her mouth moving and swear I see little eggs inside. If so this will be a 1st time chiclid spawn for me, so I hope they will hatch into fry.

I have a video and will try and upload it later..

female still seems to be holding but the eggs have not yet hatched. But it has to be any day now ... Im not sure she might have gobbled the eggs. i havent had the time to upload the video. Im off work wed and thu ill try then and have more time to observe.

I posted a pic of the female in my other tank update thread. No free swimmers but I think the eggs are hatched in her mouth and the wigglers are inside. I see little eyes inside her packed full mouth. Unless I'm crazy and don't k ow what I'm talking about. I really have no idea first time for me.... but from what I can see =p

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If her mouth looks full and you can see movement, you have fry. Count down the days, typically 21, and then strip her or move her to a breeder tank so that she will spit the fry and they can escape safely. I love mouth brooders!

omgg today the fry came out. i noticed it in the corner of my eye all the fish going crazy.... i don't think any of the fry will make it... i did not have a tank ready for them

not to worry i have 4 females, besides the one that just spit fry they all seem to be holding lol. The full grown female was the one who just spit. the others are about half her size 2.5

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Put them in a breeder net or hang on tank breeder box. Those are readily available at most big box stores.

it was too late they got munched instantly. by the time i tried to catch any they were gone. I have a little breeder box and a 10g tank i will use them nxt time.. should be pretty soon i think...

should i put the females in the breeder other tank once i notice them holding or is it okay to wait a little while untill they are farther alone?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
With Old World Cichlids, I usually let the females hold for a week or two and strip them once the fry are mostly free swimming. I recently stripped a female where the fry still had egg sacs and put them into a tumbler.

Others will pull the female to a separate tank and let them spit the fry naturally. All three methods work. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with and how much tank space you have.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I like to wait 14-21 days from the spawn, or as close to that as you can get. I then strip manually. If you are not comfortable stripping the female of the fry, then use a breeder box and wait for her to spit them naturally. Once she does, remove her from the breeder box.

Note:
Somtimes the females need recovery in another tank before being put back in with males. They are weak from not eating much while carrying the fry.

so frustrated... been trying to net the females that are holding... no success. afew of them seem to be a bit stressed and are starting to develop ich.. i think bec the male is so agressive even with 4 females. there is one other smaller male. im thinking maby i should re tank him for now and see if the agression goes down. The only reason i could think the ich came from is stress. weird thing is it didnt show up untill i used pima and melafix to treat the mouth fungus on the raunbows..

anyhow for now i guess i will try and net and re tank one of the males, and treat the tanks with the salt and temp for ich and see what happens. Its weird with only one male and one female the aggression was there but not too bad, and now with more females it seems to be worse... But also with the addition of another male (only way i could guarantee 3fm is to get the breeder pack)

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Two males ramps up the aggression of the dominant male. I would rehome the dominant one for now until you can get the ich problem under control. Scooping holding females is tough. Sometimes you have to pull the decor in the tank to get them.

Got it this time

Moved a holding female tiday and she had spit the fry when I got home from work
2z6xfsw.jpg