• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Weird fish behavior

Localzoo

Board of Directors
K so in one if my tanks with no females in it I noticed the males circling and re enacting the mating dance....I know they are male. They have bred with their females that I keep in separate tank.
I know the difference between a fight and mating
They are taking turns chasing the egg spots.

I know females will drop eggs even when no males are present and even hold for a day or two is this the same...????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

npbarca

Members
My male Saulosi did the same thing. However, after a week, the dominant male killed off the sub Dom males he was doing the dance with.

zackcrack00

Members
I have done some research on this, it seems to be a dominance fight of sorts and it happened every time I added a male mbuna to the tank or s sub Dom tried to achieve dominance.

chriscoli

Administrator
Agreed, they're establishing their pecking order. Kind of like.... "my egg spot is bigger than yours" perhaps?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Agreed, they're establishing their pecking order. Kind of like.... "my egg spot is bigger than yours" perhaps?

Well someone needs to tell them put the rulers away....lol

But seriously they even cleared of a rock, the spinning is quite slow and they legit take turn down by each others egg spots...

zackcrack00

Members
Well someone needs to tell them put the rulers away....lol

But seriously they even cleared of a rock, the spinning is quite slow and they legit take turn down by each others egg spots...

I know, if I get a monomorphic species and add it in with a known male of a species, I assume it's a female and a male cross-breeding until no eggs come out and eventually I find out they're both male.