• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dave's Rare Fish Group Buy for Delivery to Aquamania

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Dave Schumacher has generously offered to set up a group buy for delivery to Aquamania. He will also be donating fish to the saturday rare fish auction, so this is a chance to support someone who has been a great supporter/sponsor of the club.

Dave is offering 10% off on all purchases and will be shipping the boxes for free, another great bonus. For anyone that hesitates to order fish due to shipping costs, this is a great opportunity to get quality fish at a discount price.

Please contact Dave directly (Daves@davesfish.com or 210-599-9444) for specific questions, as he usually doesn't have the time to get on the forum regularly.

Here is a list he recently sent out of new stock:

Ancistrus cf. cirrhosis "Bristlenose Pleco" juveniles
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosis "Bristlenose Pleco" albino juveniles
Astatotilapia calliptera juveniles
Astatotilapia latifasciata Lake Kyoga "Zebra" juveniles
Aulonocara baenschi Nkhomo Reef "Yellow Regal" juveniles
Aulonocara var. "Eureka Red" juveniles
Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo Island "White Blaze" juveniles
Cynotilapia aurifrons Lundu Point "Red Top White Blaze" wild caught
Cynotilapia zebroides Chimate "Red Top Dwarf" juveniles
Cynotilapia zebroides Lumbila "Yellow Blaze" wild caught
Hemichromis guttatus "Red Jewel" juveniles
Labeotropheus trewavasae Chilumba juveniles
Labidochromis var. "Super Red Top Hongi" juveniles
'Lamprologus' callipterus Magara wild caught
Metriaclima fainzilberi Higga Reef "Zebra Sunrise" wild caught
Metriaclima fainzilberi Ikombe "Gold Breast" (w/ OB females) wild caught
Metriaclima fainzilberi Makonde "Yellow Chin" (w/ OB females) wild caught
Metriaclima zebra Manda "Dwarf Zebra" (w/OB females) wild caught
Metriaclima sp. "Mbweca" Mbweca juveniles
Neochromis sp. "Entebbe" Entebbe, Uganda juveniles
Neolamprologus tretocephalus juveniles
Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus juveniles
Phyllonemus typus Lake Tanganyika "Mouthbrooding Mustache Cat" wild caught
Placidochromis milomo "VC10" juveniles
Placidochromis sp. "Jalo" Jalo Reef adults and juveniles
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" Lupingu adult males and juveniles
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Imperial" Likoma "Tangerine Tiger" juveniles
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Imperial" Pombo Rocks "Yellow Chin" juveniles
Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus "Marble Sailfin Pleco" juveniles
Pundamilia sp. "Red Flank" Nansio Island adult males
Xystichromis sp. "Blue Fire Fin" juveniles and young adults

This group buy is open to all CCA members who are registered to attend Aquamania. I will post details later about where/when fish can be picked up, but it will likely be saturday afternoon at the event where the auction is being held.

Visit Dave's website to see all of his stock (www.davesfish.com) and sign up for his newsletter if you don't already receive it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
For anyone who caught Dave's talk for our club, you know he knows his stuff. In addition to having excellent stock, Dave is one of the most generous and supportive guys our club has.

Get your orders in early and often!

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm in. See three things I want/need already. :)

Thanks to Dave and thanks to Michael for setting this up!

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1 - Thanks to Dave and Mike!

Free shipping alone could easily cover AquaMania registration and becoming a CCA member...

Some great stuff on Dave's list... and if you don't see it, I'd bet that Dave can track it down for you between now and the event.

This is a really good deal. Don't let it pass you by!

Matt

I'm in. See three things I want/need already. :)

Thanks to Dave and thanks to Michael for setting this up!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Dave received a bunch of catfish last week (mostly plecos) along with some other rift lake stuff. Check out his list and place an order while the fish are available!

verbal

CCA Members
Dave received a bunch of catfish last week (mostly plecos) along with some other rift lake stuff. Check out his list and place an order while the fish are available!

This one is looking really tempting:

Pterygoplichthys%20weberi.jpg

They lose the spots, but don't get nearly as big as most of the genus.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Remember folks that you need to be a current CCA member and registered for AquaMania in order to take advantage of this group buy.

This is an awesome deal...and free shipping alone can easily cover both.

Thanks,
Matt

Things are moving fast for me and I really need some good advice. I just set up my 125 gallon and started the filter this past Thursday. All parameters seem fine, I'm checking daily, temp and ph are right so far. My dilemma is the timing of the Aquamania and the having the best environment for the fish. Is it too soon to stock the tank with a large order from Dave's delivery on Saturday? I know the costs make it very attractive but loads of fish dying is not what anyone, especially me, want. I still can't figure out what is the best variety and amounts of the fish that I want. I really like the Malawi Mbuna and desperately need some help in choosing what to get. So, here's what I am asking for: 1: is it too soon, too new of a tank to start stocking it? 2: I need a list of the most colorful and compatible Mbuna's that you guys can suggest. 3: Who do I contact to join CCA? (probably should of been my first question!) 4: when is the cut off time for the order. WOW, yes I realize that is a big request and thanks for any input.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Mike, first, you can join right on our forum. I believe there is a tab on the menu bar "join CCA" follow the steps and Yahtzee, you're a member!

Are there any fish in your 125 yet? Did you use a beneficial bacteria to cycle the tank? It may be too soon.

As for stocking and compatibility concerns, you can actually call Dave Schumacher (he owns the shop) ;) and ask him. "Dave I have a 125 and want to stock it. It needs to be colorful, what do you recommend?" Dave is really nice and an encyclopedias worth of Cichlid knowledge. Your conversation will last forever and be awesome for you. Probably not so much for him. Lol. I suggest you pick two or three fish out first for example: Pseudotropheus sp. "Minutus Tanzania" and Metriaclima sp. "Hajomaylandi Pombo", would these work together and what else for my 125?. At least that gives Dave a starting point to go off of rather than nothing. My idea of an awesome 125 mbuna would be crappy for you or someone else. Lol. I just spoke with Dave and ordered yesterday and what was to be a 5 min call ended up being 30mins of "can I do this...?" and "did you get anything not on the website?"

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
One benefit of being a CCA member is someone's always willing to give advice or lend a hand.
If you only have the 125, I suggest using night-out 2 to establish the tank. To speed things up even quicker, you could try getting used filter media or a used sponge filter from someone in the club or on our forum.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thanks guys for the advice. I emailed Dave a week or so ago and he did say the same as what you are telling me. give him a list and he will say what works and what doesn't. I'm worried that I will pick a few fish that I like then lose out on a whole list of incompatible fish that I probably would of liked even more. the more research I do, the more fish I want. I was hoping for the easy(lazy) way and have someone give me a list that if it was their first tank, it would look spectacular and all the fish would be compatible. I will look for the night-out 2. I have a fluval fx6 filtering the tank and so far the water looks crystal clear, to the point that my family was surprised that water was even in the tank! the ph is at 8.2 and the temp is 78. I also have well water at my house so no fluoride, chlorine and other manmade stuff in it. please keep the info and advice coming. again, thanks

gtavc1990

Members
With that ph you could always do a simple rock formation and just have a sand bottom. Lake Malawi mbunas would be good for that and also peacocks. Just make sure their temperament are similar or else they might get bullied but then again if it's a big enough tank and not overstocked it shouldn't be too bad. The best bet is using used filter media for sure and make sure to not add too much fish at one time especially if you are not using ALL used media in the fx6. You could always get a bunch of used sponge filters and hook those up while the fx6 builds up bacteria.

My first tank I was too impatient to cycle it so I put in my Oscar right away. Luckily he was very hardy and handled the cycling process very well. I wouldn't suggest the same with smaller less hardy fish though.

Good luck on the set up!