• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish in Oregon

mchambers

Former CCA member
Fish ladder at the Bonneviile Dam, including salmon, trout, and lam preys. [YT]6TQy2UWuNSM[/YT]

And sturgeon at the Bonneviile fish hatchery. There is one there that is 10 feet long.
[YT]2-Y-7rDDeJs[/YT]

mchambers

Former CCA member
My kids and I visited The Wet Spot in Portland today. It's definitely worth a visit if you're ever in the area: great selection of fish in very well maintained tanks.

mchambers

Former CCA member
We already went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. As you say, it's very cool. Will post some pictures when we return.

Also found tons of alder cones, in all the trails along the coast

Between the soft water, the alder cones, the Manzanita (in central Oregon), and The Wet Spot, I think Oregon would be a great place to keep fish.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Oregon Coast Aquarium

From the aquarium:
Leopard Shark
npI5Ixm4rTxT4zYfYMm9ODtFhHon8XnKMy762tRyweI=w920-h690-no

Some kind of rockfish (there are at least 75 in the Pacific):
B-mona9P8EmzzoRnjq98HyeFvUI1Dauav66TVJcF9Jk=w1212-h909-no

Salmon:
YicWyrRv8ohysE_8gJbuA52ec1ZkkcWLfcrH88lBhiY=w920-h690-no

Moray eel:
rspp_xIaDdmPdR9ObE9wiyDqHgiRJv3MgWKotrox1Ew=w1212-h909-no

Jellyfish:
fs0DbiGJ9v6HzKN9Tn_eEyg9SvlVt3-GnYVZUlBOiAE=w1212-h909-no

Shrimp:
AjFQzTgT4ZJSqQ7TclRwByoG1xRHc_f8ZNB4fDFi73A=w1212-h909-no

Should give you a good idea of what's there!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Nice - I'm in Portland for work pretty regularly now. My fish explorations have only brought me to The Wet Spot so far but looks like I need to branch out!

By the way, The Wet Spot is probably the best fish store that I've visited in the past 20 years. Clean, amazing and diverse stock, accurate labeling, good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff...walking distance to some great food and drink... Proves that an LFS (especially when paired with a wholesale / mail order business) can be done right!

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

Nice - I'm in Portland for work pretty regularly now. My fish explorations have only brought me to The Wet Spot so far but looks like I need to branch out!

By the way, The Wet Spot is probably the best fish store that I've visited in the past 20 years. Clean, amazing and diverse stock, accurate labeling, good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff...walking distance to some great food and drink... Proves that an LFS (especially when paired with a wholesale / mail order business) can be done right!

Matt
It really is a nice fish store. I was tempted to buy fish Friday and take them on the plane Saturday, but opted against it. If I lived there, I'd visit often.

You certainly should be able to find alder cones around Portland -- they're just lying on the ground under the trees, on virtually any forested path that isn't completely dominated by evergreens.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have the printout from the TSA website showing that it's permitted to carry on live tropical fish in my wallet... just haven't had a chance to test it out. I've found PDX TSA folks some of the friendliest in the world as well :)

Matt

It really is a nice fish store. I was tempted to buy fish Friday and take them on the plane Saturday, but opted against it. If I lived there, I'd visit often.

You certainly should be able to find alder cones around Portland -- they're just lying on the ground under the trees, on virtually any forested path that isn't completely dominated by evergreens.

mchambers

Former CCA member
More on Oregon

I was worried about TSA -- maybe my least favorite federal agency. But also we didn't have much spare room in our bags, having traveled in Oregon for two weeks.

The Wet Spot has the best corydoras selection I've ever seen (outside of Mike Barber's fishroom) and some cool South Americans. Almost certainly has cool African lake cichlids and Central Americans, too, but I don't know as much about those.

Manzanita growing on the Newberry volcanic cinder cone:
e0jg7zyV-xqbYCXCvpjgqZy3TY6XT2SMabXyw_0v9TA=w1212-h909-no

Jason Werth garden gnome admiring some alder cones:
QhAYxImIFsCvrseyCUETpqhpPfwJ2V1mKWkvybaCbFY=w1212-h909-no

mchambers

Former CCA member
Forgot to say that in 13 of my tanks, the fish were not fed for 14 days. All look fine.

In another tank, I put an autofeeder in to feed some fry.

I really don't think fish need as much food as we tend to think, or as frequently.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Interestingly, I just discovered that my angels spawned at some point last week, because they've got some free swimming fry, and my corydoras sp. c123 also laid eggs today.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have the printout from the TSA website showing that it's permitted to carry on live tropical fish in my wallet... just haven't had a chance to test it out. I've found PDX TSA folks some of the friendliest in the world as well :)

Matt

I would not risk it. It will be at the discretion of the TSA agent. I work at an airport and I have seen it for myself. Sandy from Seagrest Farms was not allowed to bring 4 frontosa's with her, irregardless of the TSA website. Just saying don't put yourself in that position to decide to reschedule a flight or lose fish. Not a sermon, just a thought.