• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mouthbrooders holding from more than one spawn?

Does it happen that any mouthbrooder holding eggs/fry may be doing so from more than once spawning session?

My use of session is relative-- and what I generally mean is that fish spawned, and then spawned again later... perhaps hours or days later.

I ask without knowing whether this is a known, frequent behavior, an outlier behavior, or something that simply doesn't happen.

I also ask after having just watched a female who is holding appear to engage in spawning behavior with a male.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've wondered about that as well, but I have seen one female try to hold both her brood and another female's brood.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Does it happen that any mouthbrooder holding eggs/fry may be doing so from more than once spawning session?

My use of session is relative-- and what I generally mean is that fish spawned, and then spawned again later... perhaps hours or days later.

I ask without knowing whether this is a known, frequent behavior, an outlier behavior, or something that simply doesn't happen.

I also ask after having just watched a female who is holding appear to engage in spawning behavior with a male.

I personally have seen my acei hold and hide then later that night go for round too....but that could be two sessions or one with a break in between....
As far as spawning again...could be to ensure the eggs that are already held are fertilized.

So depends how long unfertilized eggs are viable....cuz that could be the answer. if the answer is 24 hours thats how long between the subsequent spawnings.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

npbarca

Members
One time when I stripped a peacock, I got about 20 free swimming fry, but there were still about 10 fertilized eggs. I ended up tumbling the eggs, and they eventually hatched. The 2 groups were too far apart in age to be the same spawn, so I figured she must have spawned twice or was holding someone else's eggs. There was another female holding at the same time.

One time when I stripped a peacock, I got about 20 free swimming fry, but there were still about 10 fertilized eggs. I ended up tumbling the eggs, and they eventually hatched. The 2 groups were too far apart in age to be the same spawn, so I figured she must have spawned twice or was holding someone else's eggs. There was another female holding at the same time.

THAT is interesting

I personally have seen my acei hold and hide then later that night go for round too....but that could be two sessions or one with a break in between....
As far as spawning again...could be to ensure the eggs that are already held are fertilized.

So depends how long unfertilized eggs are viable....cuz that could be the answer. if the answer is 24 hours thats how long between the subsequent spawnings.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

...which makes a lot of sense. Flexibility in this way ultimately produces more fry.

What I observed is 7 days after spawn. I will know for sure in a couple of weeks. Still, the idea of this is interesting.