• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Xenotilapia spilopterus

Has anyone has success breeding them? I am hoping for some insight into how to get my group going. There has been plenty of displaying, but no spawning.

Are they okay in a community with jumbo cyps, or do they do better in a species tank?

Can I arrange rocks in a way that will help them feel comfortable? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have has some success with xeno's but not for a while. In my experience they have to have a sand substrate and they need clean and stable water conditions. My PH was always around 8.2-8.4. Temp around 77-79. I fed them on good green flake and some frozen stuff intermittently but the quality of the pellets right now is excellent whether it be NLS or Dianichi. I always had them by themselves and never had them breed in anything less than a 75.
Here is an informative article. I also had them in groups of at least 6.
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=21
Good luck they are really cool fish.

Thanks. That article is probably the most substantive text around concerning this fish. I have them with Cyp. kitumbas that are spawning, sand bottom, rocky landscape, Dianichi/NLS/bbs, PH in the low 9's and 79 degrees.

I've done fine with other Xenos in larger groups. This is my first bi-parental mouth brooder, and wonder whether they would do better in smaller numbers (I currently have 5 in the group). I've also read elsewhere of success with this fish in smaller tanks, which I am skeptical of.

As a next step, I may get some spirulina flake.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.