• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

managing multiple tanks

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Would love to have multiple tanks. The most ideal space for me is the basement where 90% of the space is carpeted.

To those have a fish room and multiple tanks, could you describe your maintenance schedule (water changes, cleaning)? Did any of you have to do any extra electrical work to account for all the additional equipment that you would be running? How many if any have a carpeted area where multiple tanks are being maintained?

Termato

Board of Directors
If you can remove the carpet where you will put the tanks, I'd recommend it. I live in an apartment that is fully carpeted and I keep about 14 tanks at the moment (more coming). It SUCKS to spill on the carpet. I can't rip mine up but I'd highly recommend it if you want A LOT of tanks. I'm careful enough where it hasn't been a problem but it's always best not to worry. I'm also on the top floor so I'm VERY careful.

I do 25% water changes every other day on my tanks. 50% weekly water changes. 60-70% Monthly water changes.

One of the biggest things to consider is to keep things separate. Different nets, siphons, brushers, etc. You don't want to transfer unwanted things from tank to tank.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
My 50-60 tank fishroom is an un-carpeted laundry room in the basement. Having everything in one room, access to water, a drain, deep sink, etc. makes everything that much easier to maintain.

I try to do 30-75% water changes per week on all of the tank.

Matt

TeamPisces

CCA Members
If you can remove the carpet where you will put the tanks, I'd recommend it. I live in an apartment that is fully carpeted and I keep about 14 tanks at the moment (more coming). It SUCKS to spill on the carpet. I can't rip mine up but I'd highly recommend it if you want A LOT of tanks. I'm careful enough where it hasn't been a problem but it's always best not to worry. I'm also on the top floor so I'm VERY careful.

I do 25% water changes every other day on my tanks. 50% weekly water changes. 70% Monthly water changes.

One of the biggest things to consider is to keep things separate. Different nets, siphons, brushers, etc. You don't want to transfer unwanted things from tank to tank.

That's my 2 cents.

Wow. We just replaced most of the carpet in this house after 8 years. Ideally, I am thinking that I would like 125 gallon, a 55 gallon and may be to 2 40 gallon breeders on racks. My first fish experience was in an apartment where I kept a 44 gallon salt tank with a sump to the side. Never ever had an overflow if the power went out. I always set the return at a level, so as not to overflow the sump.

Thanks for your 2 cents;)

Becca

Members
I have multiple rooms with multiple tanks. My maintenance schedule depends on the stocking of the tanks, type of fish, etc. I use a python that can reach everywhere in my house (including out the door) to drain tanks and another python to fill (I try not to use the same hose to drain as I do to fill in order to avoid cross-contamination. It's easy to sterilize the gravel vac attachment between tanks, but not so much the hose. If tanks are in the same room they get done on the same day. About half of our tanks (and all of our large tanks) are in carpeted areas.

The very important thing to do is focus just on the one task - don't try to multitask while filling tanks. Draining, maybe it's not such a big deal, especially if you use a clamp to set the siphon to a certain level, but filling... DO NOT GET DISTRACTED!

It also helps to have a wet/dry or shop vac handy in case you do get distracted.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I have multiple rooms with multiple tanks. My maintenance schedule depends on the stocking of the tanks, type of fish, etc. I use a python that can reach everywhere in my house (including out the door) to drain tanks and another python to fill (I try not to use the same hose to drain as I do to fill in order to avoid cross-contamination. It's easy to sterilize the gravel vac attachment between tanks, but not so much the hose. If tanks are in the same room they get done on the same day. About half of our tanks (and all of our large tanks) are in carpeted areas.

The very important thing to do is focus just on the one task - don't try to multitask while filling tanks. Draining, maybe it's not such a big deal, especially if you use a clamp to set the siphon to a certain level, but filling... DO NOT GET DISTRACTED!

It also helps to have a wet/dry or shop vac handy in case you do get distracted.

Lol. I know all about distracted. Short story, running my mouth, forgot I was filling the tank, and the "oh sh#% moment. Thanks for the input.

Jt731

Members
As a former 12 tank 2 bedroom apartment guy, during maintenance put towels down. It's not if it's when. Weekly I did a water change on half with a python (bless us the water bill divided equally among tenants).

To be honest with a rack go look at what reed did, he even has videos. His water changes are hilariously easy and if basement you should have access to a water line easily

No extra power but I do run all led for lights

Last edited:

TeamPisces

CCA Members
My 50-60 tank fishroom is an un-carpeted laundry room in the basement. Having everything in one room, access to water, a drain, deep sink, etc. makes everything that much easier to maintain.

I try to do 30-75% water changes per week on all of the tank.

Matt

Thanks. I wish I could use my laundry room space. Unfortunately, it is the storage room. I need that extra space for storage.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
As a former 12 tank 2 bedroom apartment guy, during maintenance put towels down. It's not if it's when. Weekly I did a water change on half with a python (bless us the water bill divided equally among tenants).

To be honest with a rack go look at what reed did, he even has videos. His water changes are hilariously easy and if basement you should have access to a water line easily

No extra power but I do run all led for lights

12 tanks, whoa. That had to be fun. Towels are great idea. Especially having new carpet. I did purchase an upgraded padding with the carpet if I decide to ever get another dog. Thanks.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
i am running 50 tanks. 46of them on concrete in the fish room. I change 50-75% of the water every 2 weeks. When the tanks become crowded I do it every week. I use Python hoses to drain the upper and middle row into a trash can and then it's pumped into the sump pump. The lower tanks are drained with the same pump into the sump pump.