• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125g All Male Malawi Tank Pics And Video

F8LBITE

Members
I picked up a brand new AGA 125G during a Thanksgiving sale at my LFS and got an awesome deal. As soon as I got it home I immediately taped up the tank and spray painted the back black with Krylon Fusion paint. After some research I finally managed to track down some POOL FILTER SAND at a pool supply nearby. I had used some play sand before in my Tang tank and it was cloudy for 2 weeks even though I rinsed what I thought was alot. So that is why it was important to track down the PFS because its pre rinsed and cleared up in my tank overnight. Also the PFS is cheap! I paid $26 for 150LBS. I ended up only using 125lbs to achieve the depth in the pics. Now onto the rocks,( the best part) I knew I wanted large boulders for this tank and was planning on going to pick some up at the local landscaping place but on my way to work I passed by a construction site with a huge pile of large rocks. I pulled over and asked the construction worker what they were doing with that pile of rocks that have been there for months. He told me they were taking them to the dump and I could have as many as I want. I loaded my trunk up with some nice pieces and took them home. After a little washing they came out nice. Heres some pics and a video:

p16.jpg

p17.jpg

p12.jpg

p7.jpg

p6.jpg

p20.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p5.jpg

p3.jpg

p18.jpg

p14.jpg

p192.jpg

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1dCg-w78E...re=channel_page

maddog10

Members
Nice!

You are a brave man, having all that sand. I tried it once and it proved to be a pain to clean. I think I still have 4 or 5 bags of pool filter sand in the basement.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Great job!!! Congrats on an awesome looking tank. We've got a big pile of those rocks on my jobsite, I've thought about taking some home but wasn't sure what they'd

look like in the tank. I'll have to get a load of em before they haul em off. Again, great job it looks awesome!!

F8LBITE

Members
Thanks guys!!

the sand isnt that bad to clean, I just hover over it with the syphon and do my best to just pick up the poo.

marge618

CCA member
The new tank looks GREAT! You may have just 'picked it up' but you must have been planning on it for some time. The fish look awesome!

F8LBITE

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Dec 13 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The new tank looks GREAT! You may have just 'picked it up' but you must have been planning on it for some time. The fish look awesome![/b]

Thanks Marge! It was hard work setting it up and hauling sand and really heavy rocks up to my condo but I think it was worth it and turned out just how i wanted.

Sonny Disposition

You should plant some giant Valisneria in that sand. The peacocks won't eat it, and it will help keep the water clean.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F8LBITEva @ Dec 14 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Dec 13 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new tank looks GREAT! You may have just 'picked it up' but you must have been planning on it for some time. The fish look awesome![/b]

Thanks Marge! It was hard work setting it up and hauling sand and really heavy rocks up to my condo but I think it was worth it and turned out just how i wanted.
[/b][/quote]

F8LBITE

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Dec 15 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You should plant some giant Valisneria in that sand. The peacocks won't eat it, and it will help keep the water clean.[/b]

Ive had bad luck with Vals in sand :angry: I really like the way they look though. I might try them again in this tank.

Sonny Disposition

Really? Mine have done ok. They started doing better when I started adding garden limestone to the water. Rather than adding a cichlid salt, I just add a calcium salt and a little instant ocean to raise the hardness/buffer the pH of my african cichlid tanks.

Originally, I had been adding Calcium chloride. It dissolves fast, and doesn't make the water cloudy. But soon after I switch to CaCl from CaC03, the Vals stopped growing. When I switched back, they started growing again.

Someone on the NANFA list (I forget who) said that the Vals are able to split a carbon atom off the carbonate molecule and convert it to carbon dioxide, which they use for photosynthesis, and hence, growth. Don't know how true it is, but it seems to be working.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F8LBITEva @ Dec 16 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Dec 15 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should plant some giant Valisneria in that sand. The peacocks won't eat it, and it will help keep the water clean.[/b]

Ive had bad luck with Vals in sand :angry: I really like the way they look though. I might try them again in this tank.
[/b][/quote]

bschuhart

Members
Nice Tank!, I've been keeping aquariums for over 40 years and done lots of different set ups including a SW reef.

I have a 110g that I would like set up like yours. I haven't done Africans before at home, but have that 150g at Magnolia Middle, that Pat and Dave donated the fish to.

I really like the idea of an all male tank. What fish do you have in it? Where did you get them at that size?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Was wondering how I possibly missed this thread and then realized that the first post is dated 12/13/08.

Awesome tank Jose. I need to pick me up some of that pool filter sand I think. :)

F8LBITE

Members
Nice Tank!, I've been keeping aquariums for over 40 years and done lots of different set ups including a SW reef.

I have a 110g that I would like set up like yours. I haven't done Africans before at home, but have that 150g at Magnolia Middle, that Pat and Dave donated the fish to.

I really like the idea of an all male tank. What fish do you have in it? Where did you get them at that size?

Thanks bschuhart! The latest stocklist can be found in the video in my signature. Ive thinned the fish out a little bit as they are growing very big. I got the fish from Local stores, other CCA members, craigslist, CCA meetings, Aquabid. Some I grew out, some I bought as juvies showing some color and others I bought as adults. The key to an all male tank is to not hesitate to get rid of troublemakers to ultimately acheive balance. Good luck, dont hesitate to post up questions.