• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Seriously -- strategies for long power outages

There's a good chance that some of us will be facing this in a few days. I'm sure some of you have generators. But for the rest of us getting by on battery powered air pumps and battery packs -- what is a good strategy?

In the short run, we need to keep the tanks oxygenated. In the long run, we're trying to preserve biological colonies. Fortunately, keeping tanks temperate shouldn't be a problem at this point.

So questions:

Do we need to be particularly concerned with oxygen levels in planted tanks, with the plants taking available oxygen in the absence of light and thus give these extra attention with the air pumps, for instance?

To save batteries, is it OK to only run filters or air pumps a portion of an hour during the day? If so, 15 minutes every hour or what?

To save bacterial colony, is there any use to pushing the primer buttons to keep water going through the filter from time to time if you don't have a battery pack keeping a filter going? How long, actually, will it take for the bacteria to die off? At what point is it best to pull the media out and put it in the tank -- after 24 hours? 48?

Obviously no feeding. Any reason to do water changes if the water is otherwise an OK temperature and fairly clean?

fischfan13

Banned
We have a huge thread going on...(what's the name of that forum again?):lol:

Stop feeding after tonight.
Large water changes should be done, IMO, Friday and/or Saturday.
I am not one to pull media and throw it into the tank, as I would much rather concentrate any junk that is in a filter in the filter. Releasing the media and its contents into a tank just fouls the tanks and give the fish something to pick at and eat...creating more waste.
You fish and its bacteria will be fine, even if it is 24 or 48 hours.

Buckcich

Members
...(what's the name of that forum again?):lol:

What Bill, you didn't promote the "other" site well enough during your stay at the ACA CONVENTION LAST MONTH? I think alot folks have checked out ECC for emergengy plans regarding fish tanks. It's just a tip. A good one.
Good luck with this female named hurricane. Remember Katrina?

mscichlid

Founder
My plan is to start big water changes tomorrow and replinish water in storage tank. If the power goes out, I'll at least have fresh water. I will feed lightly on some of the tanks because of young ones. The big poopers will not be fed.

I'm more worried about the planted tanks. . .

ddavila06

Members
the planted tank...why?! plants can go on without light for 3-4 days without dying...thats actually a technique to rid of hairalgea..
a good water change tomorrow is a good idea thanks!

londonloco

Members
I've lost power for several days in the winter. I do nothing to my tanks. I've been lucky, twice. Sigh, hoping nothing changes.

mscichlid

Founder
Good on the planted tank info.

I have too many tanks and not enough money to even entertain the idea of battery packs and batteries.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have one that I got from Kensfish that can run like a dozen airlines... it kicks on automatically when the power goes out. It was about $60 I think... got it at the ACA convention in Cinci and used it to run airstones on about 10 buckets for the drive from Cinci back home...

Matt

mscichlid

Founder
Okay! When I find a job. I think I might have to get a couple.

Whoa! Ken's site looks way better! I didn't know where I was for a second.

Cartel

Members
I only have a lone 40 with some cories running on a sponge filter right now. I will do a water change and tiddy things up tonight. I actually like not having to stress over the power going out for once. Picked up water, canned food last night. I already have too many candles in a box somewhere. I will fill up the gas tank during lunch and thats about all I can do.

Air stones keep the water oxygenated.
But what about trying to save the bacterial colony in the filters?

Does it help to push the prime button occassionally to refresh the water in the filters?

After what period of time do we assume the bacterial colony is dead and thus need to flush the filter before power is turned back on again?

Cartel -- DO NOT USE candles. This is how houses burn down. Go get some flashlights! (my FEMA body double speaking again)

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't think I'd assume the bacterial colony is dead, as long as it is still wet. My understanding is that the good bacteria in our filters is capable of going dormant when it doesn't have food or oxygen. Otherwise, how would products like Dr. Tim's One and Only work?

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/Blog_twitter/files/7ef10ec0eb195be3b4cb905fac65d0f9-7.html

And even if the bacteria was dead, why would you need to flush the filter?

Here's hoping we don't get to test this.

Matt -- I thought I'd read in the past the need not to just let filters turn back on if the power had been off for some time as they then push "bad stuff (unspecified) into the tank . . .

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, I think I've read that as well. I just don't know if it's valid advice. Given that I don't believe that bacteria die off as quickly as many folks seem to say on various aquaria forums, I'm inclined to question that advice.

Love to hear from some of the experts here on their views.