• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Substitute for glass tank covers?

captmicha

Members
I buy used tanks from a rescue. That leaves me with a bunch of tanks without lids. I prefer the glass lids to prevent evaporation (house is really dry) and to place my lights on. Tempered glass (won't break from lights) is expensive and I suck at cutting even cheap glass. And I don't feel like running out to get glass cut every time.

What are some clear, light transmissible plastic alternatives that I can find local?

Someone told me clear corrugated plastic but I'm having trouble finding this. Unless I call sign shops, and then it's running probably the same cost as tempered glass which defeats the whole purpose.

Ideas please?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I recently bought some Lexan at Home Depot and used it to replace a broken glass top. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too flexible, and sagged.

I cut a narrower strip of Lexan and siliconed it to the bigger piece, and that solved the problem.

Home Depot has other clear plastic, too.

I'd buy something pretty thick, whatever you try.

thedavidzoo

Members
I used some thin plexiglass. Pain in the *&^% to cut, cracks if you are not careful, and it sag in the middle.
Like Matt said, get thick stuff or reinforce the thin stuff. Maybe Lexan is easier to cut than plexiglas.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use either clear rubbermaid bins or just the lids on top of most of my tanks. Not a perfect fit but they work. Most are actually dump filters, although I'm not currently running them (all it would take is a small pump or powerhead in the tank)...

You can get the idea here...

Matt

01Tanks062208.jpg

01cTanks062208.jpg

captmicha

Members
I'll have to check out your pictures on a computer. I can't see it too well from my phone. Can you put light over them and enough gets to your plants? Almost all my tanks are planted.

The plexi glass just warps too much from heat, as well as gravity. I don't know about the Lexan but I'm not sure it's that much cheaper than retail glass lids.

JLW

CCA Members
Over time, acrylic, under the light, will warp and yellow. It will need to be replaced. This is why most acrylic tanks have holes cut in the top, rather than full openings. It's also one of the reasons I don't like acrylic. :)

If you're going to use it, it needs to be fairly thick, and you should regularly flip it (i.e., this side up for a month, then this side down). This cuts down on the sagging a tad. Personally, I think the price difference between that and 1/8" glass is so minimal as to be not worth it. Though, at least it won't break when you drop it on the floor.

Where are you getting your glass from that it is expensive? Call some of the glass shops -- they should be able to set you up with cheap, cut glass.

J.

TovMahal

Members
I was able to get 2 pieces of cut glass to cover my new 20l (~30"x7") for $6 at Fragers in DC.

I was shocked at how cheap they were. Was in an out in 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cut glass is cheap way cheaper than plexi that is thick enough to not sag. Glass thicker than 1/4" gets more expensive but for a hood 1/4 should be fine

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

I use Lexan-- not much sagging to speak of. You might check with DM Cichlids. It's possible he might have some cut to size.

Don't use plexiglass-- it will sag when you put it over water.

I recently bought some Lexan at Home Depot and used it to replace a broken glass top. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too flexible, and sagged.

I cut a narrower strip of Lexan and siliconed it to the bigger piece, and that solved the problem.

Home Depot has other clear plastic, too.

I'd buy something pretty thick, whatever you try.

Sonny Disposition

Yeah, it can be a little temperamental. I cut it with a jig saw. I used a light metal blade, which bent as I was cutting. I replaced it with a heavy metal blade and got a much better cut. I think to make a really straight edge you'd need a table saw of some kind.

Lexan is pretty easy to cut with a decent saw.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
As far as im concerned there is no replacement for glass I've been in this hobby for many many years and have work with Plexi and Lexan for years at my job. Go to a Store front fabricator and get the glass cut to size. I use 3/16 t on all of my tanks. For the price of plastic its not worth the hassle. JMO

Grundsau

Members
Our president of the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County demonstrated cutting the corrugated plastic. He says you can get the white corrugated plastic at Lowes or Home Depot. Cichlid Club of York made a bunch of lids with that stuff for their fish show last weekend. Even the clear stuff isn't clear, but still lets a lot of light through.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Our president of the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County demonstrated cutting the corrugated plastic. He says you can get the white corrugated plastic at Lowes or Home Depot. Cichlid Club of York made a bunch of lids with that stuff for their fish show last weekend. Even the clear stuff isn't clear, but still lets a lot of light through.

How did he cut it I've seen them at Home Depot roofing section in green white and clear...(was looking for stuff to make a roof for my pigeon loft.) I have a jig saw might that wrk?

captmicha

Members
White won't work and I'm having trouble finding clear corrugated.

Won't thin glass break with the heat from the lights unless it's tempered?

The glass shop I go to usually charges $5 for cutting on top of the price you pay for buying the glass. That's not cheap enough for my tastes if you have a lot of tanks.

captmicha

Members
I doubt a jig saw would work. It would snag here and there and vibrate too much, causing it to crack, I'm thinking. I would use a circle saw or Dremel with a cutting wheel.

captmicha

Members
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Do I want UV protection though? Don't I want all the light getting through as possible?

I wish I could find this local. I'm going to try to find a greenhouse supply place if I can. I don't feel like paying extra for shipping big things.

Becca

Members
I recently got some of the stuff that goes in florescent light fixtures. It's thin and flimsy - I was going to use the white cube-y stuff (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...L2GT-PLTS-R5/100579509?N=5yc1vZc7olZ12kxZ12ky) to hold it up. The latter is easy to cut with utility scissors or wire cutters. I frequently use the eggcrate to cover tanks, though it doesn't stop evaporation, which is a PITA. I've also covered it with Glad Press n' Seal in the past.

I'm thinking a utility knife is probably going to be the easiest way to cut the plastic sheeting.