• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Few photos of my tanks

londonloco

Members
I've been a member for a few months now, thought I'd post some pics of my tanks. First off, let me say, I really have no idea how to photograph them, so sorry for the bad shots. One of these days I'll read the book I bought when I purchased my camera a year ago. I got to chapter 3, it was def snooze material! Largest to smallest tanks:

125g with 7 Multi and about 40 fry, 10 BCWP from Razzo, 15 furcata's as dithers, 3 calico bn's and 10 nerites from Rachel:

11811FTS.jpg

75g I've had set up for 2 years, going thru a slow major replanting. It has 8 quarter size Angels with a few cory's and an ALFBN:

10811.jpg

75g I just set up last month, trying a NPT tank this time. It has all tropical fish I've collected over the years:

11811.jpg

26g bow N. Caudopunctatus tank, set up 5/11:

11811.jpg

20g long A. Comp "Sumbu", I just added a few more plants to this tank:

10811.jpg

20g long Q/holding tank, right now it has a male betta and 5 neons I rescued from a friend:

10811.jpg

20g long emersed set up, about 3 weeks old, it's a learning process:

emersed108.jpg

5 gallon shrimp tank. I redid this tank up a week ago, using my daughters city water. My well water does nothing but kill RCS, TDS is 500 out of tap. At first I thought it was the lighting making the water yellow, but it's not, it's yellow in a clear glass also. I'll figure it out...

110811.jpg

2 gallon jar, this anubias started with 3 leaves, 2 years later in this jar it has over 15 leaves, with ambient lighting. Even with weekly water changes I constantly battle diatoms on them, but it wipes off. In the summer this jar house one male betta, winter I put in gold white cloud minnows:

DSC_0047.jpg

After review this post and the pics, I have some work to do...paint returns and trim the 20g long betta tank are first on my list!

londonloco

Members
Thanks all. I try :)

I have 5 dwarf comps, purchased them as "sub adults" from a hobbiest in WI. So far I have one smaller one that is showing a little yellow, the rest of them are quite drab in color. That's ok tho, they all have the most interesting body shape. They are about 1 to 1.5", I can tell they have grown some in the 6 months I have had them. Not sure what I am going to do if/when they start to breed, but that could be a year or more away.

Oh, and Rach, I'm glad you like the tanks. Many of the fish and some of the plants came from you! :D

toddnbecka

Members
Very nice looking scapes and plants. My 2-3 gallon betta vase is all green water ever since the last complete teardown cleaning. The Najas I was thinking would cover it is half starved for light.
Comp's of any variety are incredibly slow-growing fish, even worse than most other Tang's, but worth the wait IMO.
Try purigen for the yellow water in the shrimp tank?

londonloco

Members
Very nice looking scapes and plants. My 2-3 gallon betta vase is all green water ever since the last complete teardown cleaning. The Najas I was thinking would cover it is half starved for light.
Comp's of any variety are incredibly slow-growing fish, even worse than most other Tang's, but worth the wait IMO.
Try purigen for the yellow water in the shrimp tank?

Great idea on the purigen. I need to try to figure out the cause, for fear when I take out the purigen, it will just come back. I think it might be new tank syndrome (soil capped with flourite), once the soil calms down, I'm hoping it goes away. I hate yellow tanks....

toddnbecka

Members
If the water is yellow out of the tap the purigen should clear it up. I bought some to remove the tannins released from the mopani and malaysian wood in my tanks. Filter carbon get expensive, purigen is reusable.

londonloco

Members
Well, since someone asked….lol….

Last fall I bought myself a birthday gift, a new ADA 45F 4.6 gallon, rimless little tank with a LED 4W clip on light fixture, Okho stone and ADA soil for my red shrimp. I have to import water for this tank, why I went so small, I’m not a fan of buckets at all. My well water has a high TDS level out of tap (500 by a TDS meter), I could never keep shrimp alive for more than a few months, and I never saw a baby shrimp. Using a mixture of my daughters water and bottled spring water, I had an explosion of shrimplets in the 5 gallon. This tank was set up in November:

DSC_0001.jpg

Two months later I was cycled, broke down the 5 gallon adding the shrimp from it to the 4.6g, it looks like this:

ada5gshrimp112.jpg

Gotta love that AquaSoil.

The 125g is currently my favorite tank, plants are doing great, no algae. The multi colony has really taken off. Had to move the big rocks on the left side out to give them more shells. I’ve lost 2 calvus to aggression. They seem to have paired off. I have 8 left, with three distinct pairs, tho I think they are still really young to be pairing off. Not sure what’s going on there, but everyone seems to be happy:

125gTangy112.jpg

Sold the punks out of the 26 bow, the pair I have in there breed every other month, but then get nasty with the fry. When they are gone in a few weeks I'm thinking I'm going more plants, serpae's (currently in the new 75g) for color and activity.

The older 75g went thru a major replant this week. Now I have to wait until it grows back in :( :

old75g112.jpg

I did add 8 panda cory (fry) from Rachel last month. Even with the panda’s, and angels, the tank looks empty, so I'm going to add the rainbows from the other 75g to this tank.

Which will leave me with a fishless 75 gallon. This tank was just set up late 2011, planted, but my lighting is way off. Tried to do the Walstead style, found out not to my liking. Looks like kaka:

new75g112.jpg

I’ve decided to tear down the tank and go Malawi. Thinking pfs, a few plants, lots of rocks/caves, and Mbuna, maybe white-tail acei Ngara, l. caeruleus, and I. sprengare (I just sent Tony a pm about his fry). Not set on that combo yet, but def set on a Malawi tank. Anyone have recommendations for me? Love to hear what you would put into a 4 foot long 75 gallon.

verbal

CCA Members
The tanks look great. I a group of peacocks and 2 groups of peaceful mbunas(like the species you listed) are a good options for the 75.