• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Planted tanks without CO2?

I'm getting annoying with the CO2 in my 58-gallon planted tank. I have three different CO2 thingees that you attach to the top of the co2 tank with a bubble counter (can't think of the name). All three seem defective, though for different reasons (gauges don't work, etc.). I just changed the tank this week and this morning the gauge shows 0. I do not think I've attached it wrong (used electricians tape, etc.). And I'm not happy with my diffuser either.

So I'm thinking of going sans C02 in this tank. It has swords, crypts, java fern, wisteria, hygro. Nothing too fancy. I probably have high light, but can adjust that downward. I already dose with Excel. I do have a tendency to be constantly fighting BBA.

Any thoughts?

I am going without C02 in my 40 breeder peacock tank. I am having considerable BBA on the big anubias, but otherwise not having problems. Do not have swords in this tank -- but the rest of what is mentioned above.

I guess I'm just looking to simplify these days . . .

ddavila06

Members
non co2 will work. things might be slower to grow but still will grow.
my tanks have co2 just to give them that extra jump for faster growth.
i would suggest that u use more root tabs, especially for the swords. have any crypts? they will do great in you tank, just be carefull when treating with excel, some will melt...
and for spot treatment on you anubia i would suggest u shut off the pumps and filters and use a cerinje to inject the excel right on them and leave everything off for like 5-10 mins. there is nothing better than to see that dreaded algea turn red =)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Ditto. I don't use CO2 on any of my tanks and my plants are fine. They don't grow vigorously, but they grow. I have a sword in the 55 that has grown huge and now regularly puts out swordlets, so many that I am beginning to run out of space for them.

CO2 always seemed like too much trouble.

JasonC

Members
As I realized I was too lazy to keep changing yeast bottles on my DIY CO2, and too poor to afford a real injected CO2 rig, I was pointed in the direction of this article/thread: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

After an initial adjustment period for the plants, things seem to be doing very well... and I am using inert gravel with root tabs that have probably been spent for a very long time. Plants such as crypts, annubias, dwarf Sag, java moss, L. Repens, and L. repens x arcuata.

HTH!

thanks. I think I'll give it a try on the 58. I need to figure out what my wattage is and reduce it, I think by shortening the time the second light comes on.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Less is more.

I coincidentally have basically everything growing that you do in your 58 in a 40 breeder (including some BBA) as well as cabomba and a few other things and all it has going for it is a single 96W 6700K compact CF. I may try CO2 one day but just too much to dither with at present and prefer the au natural thing anyway.

In know Tom Barre from the SF Fish Club years ago. Great guy, totally into the hobby and demystifying CO2. We should maybe invite him to speak.

JasonC

Members
I think that would be a fantastic talk... both his work on the EI method and low fert/no CO2 are fantastic and could be beneficial for those of us who are able to put plants in our tanks.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I like CO2 for my real "plant tanks" but have never found it necessary to get a few plants to grow. I had problems like you losing CO2 when I didn't tighten my fittings enough for awhile but now really crank them. You need teflon tape on the threads, not electrical tape. Electrical tape is not going to help.

Your plants do not really need CO2 and I'm not sure the Excel is all that necessary either. You might want to feed the sword once every month or two (in the substrate) but I think you should be good with quality light and adjusting the photoperiod to fight the algae. If you really want to dose, I would do a little iron.

Just my .02.

George

mscichlid

Founder
Swords need to be fed via root tabs. As George said, the others could use iron. Crypts can be fed via root tabs as well.

I misspoke. I'm using the right tape, but probably not strong enough to tighten sufficiently.

OK. Experiment on. I've shortened the photo period of the second lamp and stopped the C02. Already use root tabs, but will add some more.

I would love to hear Tom Barr talk.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I think you got it right Holly. I just meant teflon tape if you use tape. If you do it right it cannot get in the regulator. Actually you should not need tape. All of the fittings should be brass and, as metals go, brass is mush so they should seal well without tape or putty if tightened enough.

Putty is not a bad idea if you want a little insurance though.

Good luck Holly. Nothing prettier than a well planted tank with the fishes swimming through them.

George

Two weeks into my non-C02 experiment and the tank is looking great! Zero impact on the plants. A very negative impact on the algae (meaning it ain't growing). So I'm very happy!!

In my other planted ruby red peacock tank, I never did C02, but was starting to battle BBA. I think I made the photo period too long. As an experiment there, I reduced the wattage by switching one of the 62K bulbs with an actinic and slightly reducing the photo period. This experiment is still ongoing.

On a side note, I had to remove some plants and some hidey rock piles because too many babies were surviving -- in a 40 breeder with two males, 6+ females and 8 petricola. How in the world does THAT happen???

Sonny Disposition

You might want to get a copy of Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. I got one from Sandy Claws this Christmas. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it seems like a less complicated, stressful way to keep a planted tank, although probably not as elaborate and well landscaped as a CO2 injected tank. I like the book because it's so techy, but not hard to understand. I think Santa got mine on Amazon, but she also has a Web site.

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388.htm

Pix of non-c02 tanks

Thought you might find these interesting. First photo is my 58 gallon tank three weeks without c02. second photo is my 40 breeder ruby red peacock tank, also minus c02.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg