• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

White Fuzzy Stuff on My Manzanita

ricksnipe

Members
I have always purchased Malaysian driftwood. So I decided that I wanted to change it up. So I purchased some beautiful Manzanita a few months ago. I come down stairs to let the dog out and I notice white fuzz on my wood. Is this fungus or mold? My water parameters are fine and i have no algae in the tank? Can someone help?
:confused::eek:

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Pics?
My driftwood sometimes gets that, its probably just some sap that was in the tree that is starting to leach out. Thankfully, its non leathal to fish.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've seen that before, too. It could be a mold but I've not had any fish issues as a result. I've always thought it was just part of the natural decay process of the wood and let it run its course. It goes away eventually. If it's really bugging you and you can take the wood out of the tank....scrub/scrape it off, and put the wood back in. I wouldn't try to disinfect the wood or anything since most fungi will have their mycelia buried deeper in the wood than a surface treatment would reach.

It's fungus growing on the digestible parts of the wood. Happens with manzanita all the time for me. It's totally harmless and will disappear as soon as the digestible material is gone.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Christine and Andy. I've had this before on manzanita. It's annoying, but harmless, and will go away.

Becca

Members
Same here - it's just a biofilm that will go away within a week or so. Plecos, shrimp, and some fish eat it.