• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Changing my setup

iamzrad

Members
Well, every year or so I usually change out my setup in my 125gal tank.
I did mbuna for 3 years, changing amongst different types. Peacocks and large Haps for the past 2.
I would really like to do either a Front. or Tropheus setup for 2010-2011.

I know it's going to be difficult letting go my current stock and I would really like to setup two tanks, but I really don't have the time nor space to make it happen and keep it maintained every week.

I enjoy my stock now but it's time for a change and I am sold on switching setups. What are some of your thoughts?

Cartel

Members
Well I like your setup now but I can see where your coming from since in less then a year iv changed mine alot too. But I really like your setup now since it's basically what I'm going for now. If you must though I wouldn't mind taking some fish off your hands! But I hope you keep the current setup.

longstocking

Members
If you are into slow moving big dumb fish... go with Fronts....

If you want a fast moving colonizing fish ... go with the trophs. Add a pair of gobies for your significant other ... and she will love the tank !

F8LBITE

Members
This is the dilema I faced last month. I just bought another big tank instead of getting rid of my fish!!!

iamzrad

Members
Well I mean if I come across a deal for a nice 180-220gal tank I am taking it and will save my current 125gal and keep it.
But it's just hard finding a good deal. I'm not gonna pay 3x the gallon size for a tank, hell no!

Jumbie

Members
If you are into slow moving big dumb fish... go with Fronts....

If you want a fast moving colonizing fish ... go with the trophs. Add a pair of gobies for your significant other ... and she will love the tank !

Hey, hey, hey easy on the Front's lol just joking Sarah I know they are your least favorite tang lol. :D

Bro you can't go wrong with either fish in my opinion. I have owned them both and two me they both are really cool, the Front's are not that dumb or boring, the Trophs do have more color and more active (swimming).

I completely understand what youre referring to when you say "you need a change. To me I think thats all the fun in owning cichlids, theres always something else that I want to try. So even if you do change your setup and go with another fish for the tank, later down the line you may need another change and do another kind of cichlid or even go back to your original setup. So I say go for it dude!

My frontosa are not boring at all. I enjoy my front tank very very very very much. I have had great success with lots of females holding. I have just not had any hold full term yet. They are holding a little longer each time that they hold. The colony that I have is 2M 5F with 7 Clown Loaches, 11 Petricola, 1 pleco in a 180RR. The Fronts killed my phantom green pleco that was easily 5 inches friday night. Other than that I have never had an agression problem. I love the activity in my tank. You are very welcome to come and hang out in front of the tank anytime to decide if you will enjoy Fronts. Little Africa Aquatics is where I got my Fronts.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Don't get rid of those big guys Phil! Just be patient and look out for that deal so you can keep what you have AND try something new. We got Jose to keep his Malawi and expand into discus, and he loves it. But, if you do decide to get rid of anybody, let me know. I know you have some nice big guys I wouldn't mind rehoming.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Brother Phil, do not fall for the Temptations of the Dark Side!!!

Very Persuasive she is Phil... You know...the Dark Empress. Beware of her exaggeration to the simplicity of having Tangs. Pure Nonsense!

Stay true to the Force Phil and remember you too are a Jedi Knight, don't give in.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RM

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dude. Seriously though.... Keep your effin fish. They are awesome. Period.

If you are bored, get another tank. In the time it will take you to figure our exactly what you want, find them, grow them out a bit, you will have plenty of time to find a good deal on a big tank.

You have room for another?

iamzrad

Members
See I don't have room for another. I can't keep big tanks at my place, a 29gal is all. But the bigger guys are at my parents' house and they gave in to put some tanks in the basement. So I really can't add another tank there unless I take one down. Kinda iffy on that note.

Richard, I've had Tangs before, so I've already been to the dark side. And guess what, it's great over there! lol

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
"There is a great disturbance in the Force."

Sith Lords, I rebuke thee!!!

Pain you shall find in the Darkside;(

Exorcism we must perform on you both at the next meeting. LOL!

But it's okay Phil and Caleb, there must be balance in the Force and I see we have that at the CCA. Let me remind you that the Jedi Force has infiltrated the Empress with Malawi Jedi.

Our fellow Jedi Knight Bill Fishfan13 ("The Force is strong with this one.")from NJ has used the Jedi Mind Trick to gain access. In other words, she has some Malawi too.

May the Force be with you,

RM
"A Jedi's strength flows from the Force."