• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Former Breeder from Chicago

Hello everyone,
My name is Tarun, I'm a recent transplant from Chicago to the NoVA area. I haven't had a tank since 2013 but between 2011 and 2013 I had a whopping 32 tanks in a Chicago apartment and bred Haps, Peacocks, and Mbunas to support myself while in my undergrad years.

I moved to Falls Church for a new job, and am looking to start an all-male community tank. As of this post, I have an empty 50 Gallon Breeder style tank running with cichlid quality substrate (a touch of crushed coral added for a little zing) some hiding spots and an emperor 400 HOB that is a placeholder till I can get a canister 150G filter for this setup.

I'm not looking to breed yet (Maybe in the coming years) but I am looking for a few sexed males for my tank in the next few days. My personal choice is to buy them as small as possible as soon as you can sex them and watch them grow. I'll post a WTB thread as well but I wanted to say howdy to what seems like a friendly and active Cichlid Community.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum, Tarun. You've come to the right place.

If you are available this weekend, we have our monthly meeting on Saturday at JFK High School in Silver Spring, MD. There is an auction at each meeting that you'd probably be able to find some fish that you are looking for. There are also several folks who are selling fish that can deliver to the meeting (Reed has some nice peacocks and haps for sale).

Hope you can get your fish room set back up. You'll fit right in at the CCA. 32 tanks is a good sized set up, but I know we have at least a handful of members who are running 50+ tanks now!

Hope you can make it to the meeting.

Jon

Thanks for the heads-up Jon Clark. I will definitely try to be at the meeting (I couldn't find a meeting time). I volunteer with HART at their doggy adoption event in Chantilly on Saturdays but considering I'm starting a tank, I might beg off this weekend. :D Fish need homes too.
I replied to Reed's thread. Will wait for communication from him.

I tried to fit in more tanks but 100+ year old apartments in Chicago tend to be on the smaller side. I was physically unable to fit in any more tanks even though I had 50+ tank setups in a storage unit waiting for space. Ill eventually have a fish room here but am renting till next year and would like to get my substantial deposit back. :D

Thank you VinH2O. I'm absolutely psyched about milder winters... Plus I like how much variety in fish species I see here. Everyone and their mom in Chicago wants sunshine peacocks and ruby reds...gets boring after a while.

wsantia1

CCA Members
Hello Tarun. Welcome. I moved here to Delaware from the Chicago area about a year ago. I picked Delaware because it is in the middle of DC and NYC my 2 home towns.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Welcome Tarun,
Although I have never got fish from Reed because I am a tanganyikan guy, Everything I have seem him bring to the meetings is wonderful. I think he can hook you up.