• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fronts, Ray and Rainbows

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Odd tank mates, but kudos to you sir if it works. Fingers crossed for ya!

Loving the Steelers sticker.

rich_one

Members
It is a 6 ft. 150 gallon.

Thanks, Tony. Thing is, I wanted a cichlid I could trust with my ray, other than angels. I jumped over to MFK and asked questions in both their African Cichlid forum, and Stingray forum. I got positive answers on frontosas pretty much unanimously on both forums, even with pics of others front/ray tanks. So I decided to go for it. I know a bit off track in that its a mix of fish that would not encounter each other necessarily in the wild... but I like the look. The rainbows largely stay in the top/middle range. The fronts stay in the middle/bottom range. The ray stays on the bottom. Perfect! LOL...

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
It is a 6 ft. 150 gallon.

Thanks, Tony. Thing is, I wanted a cichlid I could trust with my ray, other than angels. I jumped over to MFK and asked questions in both their African Cichlid forum, and Stingray forum. I got positive answers on frontosas pretty much unanimously on both forums, even with pics of others front/ray tanks. So I decided to go for it. I know a bit off track in that its a mix of fish that would not encounter each other necessarily in the wild... but I like the look. The rainbows largely stay in the top/middle range. The fronts stay in the middle/bottom range. The ray stays on the bottom. Perfect! LOL...

-Rich

Good on ya brother for doing the research first. Knowing you, I figured that was probably the case.

Cheers on going completely off the beaten path. Do keep us updated!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Looks cool! How long's it been set-up?

You might find some tubes or something that the little fronts can sleep in at night (where the ray can't get to them). I wouldn't put it past the ray to munch them at night, especially as rays grow faster than fronts!

Matt

rich_one

Members
Looks cool! How long's it been set-up?

You might find some tubes or something that the little fronts can sleep in at night (where the ray can't get to them). I wouldn't put it past the ray to munch them at night, especially as rays grow faster than fronts!

Matt

Thanks, Drew!

Matt, thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly keep an eye on that. As it happens, Hystrix stingrays are slow growers. Whether or not they are slower than the fronts I cannot say. So that said, I will definitely keep an eye on it. The ray right now has about a 5.5" disc, give or take, and the fronts are around 2.5". The ray's mouth is still pretty small though. While I'd prefer not to add anything to the bottom, taking up the rays open swim space, of course if I notice any hint of this kind of behavior, I'll do what I need to do. I have available options ready to go. Hopefully, the fronts will take cover in the corners of the tank where I have the rock formations if they need to. We'll see how that develops, and I'll keep you folks posted.

The fronts have only been here for a few days. However, the rainbows and the ray have been together for several months. There were angelfish in this tank, before I rehomed them. I've watched this tank for hours since adding the fronts, and so far, I have seen no indication of problems whatsoever. So, we'll see how it goes!

-Rich

Nice tank with that much room in the tank I would figure it would take some time before they have an issue with each other. :D. Looking at your school makes me wish I had brought a few more Fronts my three seem lonely.