• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water chemistry test kits?

Digital

Members
I've been using these all-in-one sticks, i think from API. I'm about out of them and either need to reorder or try something else. I like the convenience of the all-in-ones but I wonder how accurate they are. Any recommendations?

Marlin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I do not test my water regularly, but I have found the liquid tests (assuming they are relatively fresh) to be more accurate. I have the API freshwater test kit. Has 6 or so different tests in one package.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The test strips are useful for ballpark results provided they are fresh (not over 6 or so months old and have never be in a high humidity environment).
I like the Hatch test kits. They are liquid reagents and are good for years.
I only test when trying something new like setting up a new species of fish to be sure I have the right parameters. I do no routine testing.

Daltharang

Members
I've found the strips to be inaccurate as well. I also use the API freshwater test kit. It will test high and low ph as well as the nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate. I usually test the water just before each water change (twice a week) and in 4 months i'm not even halfway through the different bottles of test liquid. So it lasts forever

Digital

Members
I plan to be at the meeting. I'm due for ordering some supplies online. This will help get me to free shipping :)

Strips

A lot of folks told me the strips were not as good as the liquid test so I went with liquid. BUT I keep the strips around in case one of my tanks don't look right the strips are a lot quicker to get a ballpark reading.

I've been using these all-in-one sticks, i think from API. I'm about out of them and either need to reorder or try something else. I like the convenience of the all-in-ones but I wonder how accurate they are. Any recommendations?

Marlin

rich_one

Members
I have an API liquid test kit that I got for free with a recent purchase from Big Al's, but honestly, I can't even remember the last time I tested my water. It's been several years.

-Rich