• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY filters

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey so going to make some small bio filters from leftover water bottles and wanted to know what would be the best bio media to use that isn't so expensive. I will incorporate sponges in the filters.

I'm making 10 filters in total from 8oz water bottles.

Thanks in advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jmty

Members
For a 20 gallons they are small use a litter bottle straws cut about 1" pieces but you have to put some weight on , so the media will be much better

Becca

Members
I'm switching mostly to sponge and/or box filters. I want my fish room all to be run on air pumps, if I ever get around to really making it a fish room.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm switching mostly to sponge and/or box filters. I want my fish room all to be run on air pumps, if I ever get around to really making it a fish room.

Same I owe you some drawings right? I might just order box filters from kens they're like $3 I need to do the same...personally I like box filters over plain sponges.

Becca

Members
Same I owe you some drawings right? I might just order box filters from kens they're like $3 I need to do the same...personally I like box filters over plain sponges.

I like sponges because the parts are harder to break/lose :p and they're super easy to clean in a bucket, but I take what I can get.

I don't think you owe me drawings, I think I owe you dimensions. I definitely have at least 8 feet along the wall, but need to think out some other stuff - like the duct work that limits height to maybe 6', or the fact that I'm kind of short and probably won't be able to reach tanks that are up that high anyway.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I like sponges because the parts are harder to break/lose :p and they're super easy to clean in a bucket, but I take what I can get.

I don't think you owe me drawings, I think I owe you dimensions. I definitely have at least 8 feet along the wall, but need to think out some other stuff - like the duct work that limits height to maybe 6', or the fact that I'm kind of short and probably won't be able to reach tanks that are up that high anyway.

Lol k send me dimensions when you can. I was thinking box filter with some sort of porous clay with open cell foam. But want to know if I should use porous clay or the little bio balls or anything else....it's like having a sponge in a box so when you lift it it doesn't leave dirt behind.

AquaStudent

Members
As Jose said. You could try using cut straws. I also visited a local club up here in New England and some people were testing out this new porous glass. It's almost like lava rock but very small and light. I'm looking forward to testing it out. It's just recycled glass though so perhaps there's something down there you can try.

I think you just want something that's light with a lot of surface area and go for a fluidized bed like system.

I'm actually about to start a thread with some of my thoughts.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Here is the stand only needs a few more supports and it should be done.
Had to move stuff around... Couldn't wrk outside its been rainy and miserable.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400211190.504485.jpg