• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

L-46 BABIES!!!

clearsky5

CCA Members
I am not sure if this will qualify,, as I did not realize I had these till yesterday....
I am posting here for the purpose that I wanted to share.

I have a 50 gallon long, that I have a bunch of L-46 plecos in it.. *(ZEBRA PLECO)they are F-0's wild caught and purchased as pretty young fish.
i keep the tank temp about 83 degrees f. ph is about 6.8 and very small amount of sand on the bottom.... loads of caves and slate hiding places.
I probably do more water changes on this tank than any of my aquariums.... guess it has a bit to do with the $$$$ fish I have in there...
along with the zebras, I have a small group of red lizard cats (L-10a) a single blue veil angel, and a small group of CW051 cories....
so pretty low fish load considering what is in there..

I have had the zebras for a couple years now and have noticed within the past 4-6 months that they are starting to spar more and vi for good spots.

I am getting ready to move this tank and it's occupants to a new spot, and was feeding the other day and noticed one zebra in particular was fussing a lot with all the commotion from the lizards and cories when i was feeding.
i took a flash light and aimed it into his cave (a 1 1/4" square cave with pinched back, about 4-5" long) .
I was shocked and surprised to see what I thought were small fins moving in the back.
I set up my macro camera aimed at the cave and waited (patiently??) for dad to move enough where I could get a shot of the possible babies.
after quite some time and pushing others away from the front of the cave opening, I managed to get a few shots of the group.... I knew I saw two young but was not sure
how many for sure...
well this morning I went to that tank first and noticed dad was not in there so got the camera aimed and shot a few shots of the kids....
there are three babies in the cave... Now I am guessing 3-4 weeks, as I have to guestimate based on the last time I was messing with the tank.
they are formed as miniature forms of the zebra and are about 1/4" long based on the size of the cave itself.
I do not know if there are others and possibly moved out and living about in crevices in the tank, but knowing they traditionally do not have large broods, it is a positive that I now know I have mature breeding sized fish....
I am very excited as this has been one of my key breeding programs...
I tried to attach images but would not let me do it....
not sure what I am doing wrong.
by the way, the images are up on the pvas bap site..
david

clearsky5

CCA Members
I wanted to post a couple pics but when I tried to upload them, i got a message saying i wasn't using the correct file? or something...

I did in fact make a post to the pvas site and successfully added pics to there....
anyone help me out here???
thanks
david

mchambers

Former CCA member
Photos

Dave,

Congrats on the spawn!

You can show the photos here by uploading them to a site like Photobucket and then putting the link in your post here. Use the icon that looks like a picture.