• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Taking the drift out of driftwood

cholile

Members
One piece of driftwood that I have refuses to stay down. I currently have it covered by a heavy piece of slate in order to keep it from floating to the top. From what I have read, even if I keep it this way for months it still may not end up waterlogged. Is there anything I can do to get it to not float that does not involve tying it to a rock?

Buckcich

Members
I had a piece of driftwood once that refused to be waterlogged. Was a root stump of wild grape. Some woods tend to never get waterlogged.
To add to the above suggestions I'll add, try to use mono filament line tied to a rock, that's what I end up doing.
'

Enkay

Members
I have 2 pieces of driftwood that do not sink. I am just holding them down with rocks. Been a few months now.

cholile

Members
Thanks. It is a long and narrow piece of driftwood (roughly 36" x 2" x 3") I want to have each end resting on another piece of driftwood so that the piece is sitting about 2' off the ground and running basically parallel to the surface. In other words, tying it to a rock won't work. It sounds like my best hope is to put it in the tub filled with hot water and let it soak for a while. I bought it from a fish store and I see a screw already drilled into the wood so I assume the store had it connected to a piece of slate (or maybe another piece of driftwood?) at some point.

JLW

CCA Members
I have two large pieces of wood that have been underwater for near a year. They still float. I have some chunks of lava rock that hold it down; I've thought about using fishing line to lash the rocks and wood together.

For very large pieces, if you want to get them sterilised and waterlogged, but they're too big to boil, try putting them in the bathtub. Run the shower on ultra-hot over them, and they'll actually absorb a lot of water. Make sure you turn them fairly frequently: you don't want tannins to stain your tub. You can also try the big brute trash can filled with boiling water, too.

Ultimately, though, some pieces just refuse to stay sunk.

andrew1002

Members
Sorry it didn't type the rest. So I would try a huge rubbermaid bucket from walmart. I've seen some that are like 5' by 2' and those were like $20 just check at Walmart and see what's there

-Andrew