• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Term for fish with standard eye color but no body pigment?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have noticed a new strain of peacocks, I'll generalize as the "pink peacocks" that have the look of an albino but standard eye color. I think there is a term to describe this but I can't find it on the web. Any help? I have a few male peacocks of this variety 3" and up available for sale. PM me if anyone is interested. Is this trait due to inbreeding a recessive trait, or is it a mutation in a gene?

F8LBITE

Members
I think the ones you are talking about are "Dragonblood" or "Strawberry" Peacocks. They are a man made strain really pretty too.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I've heard of them referred to as "Firefish" as well. I was actually more curious about the scientific term and aspect of this unique coloration. Here is a picture of an example male I have available.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sorry the picture was too big to post, and I think I'll need to convert the format to get it to the right size. I'll have to try my computer at home and post later tonight if possible.

I have a male one of those. They are called Sunburst peacocks. I have read in a lot of places that they do not occur like this in the wild. They are claimed to be a hybrid or line bred species in various places. I will keep digging. I have a 9.5inch one of these. We prob should ask Ad Konings at the next meeting. I have had trouble finding info on these guys as well.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0123-1.jpg

DSC_0212-1.jpg

kaj41354

Members
I would like to know if there is a term for this also. Bev just got in some albino bristlenose that have blue eyes. Cool looking fish but, how does this happen - come on you geneticists - explain it to me!