• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New fish room

spazmattik

Members
So we closed on the house today and I now have a fish room! This section of the basement is all mine. There is a bathroom just outside of the room but if i can afford it I would like to put a utility sink in the laundry room down the hall soon. Anyone have one of these put in before so i have an idea of cost?

Debating on painting still. Might go with a tan or a gray/blue.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1421871430866.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421871448303.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421871468536.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421871481517.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Woohoo! Congrats. It all dep in how far the plumbing has to go. I like the yellow/orange thing going on why change it?
Carpet must go though...humidity and such. (Get an exhaust fan installed if possible too)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I had a utility sink installed, but as Will said, cost will depend on how easy it is to get water and drain access. If there is a bathroom nearby that will make things much easier. Agree with Will on removing the carpet, that was the first thing I did for my fishroom, and I'm very glad I did.

Feel free to PM about sink installation, but I doubt my guy can make the trip to your neck of the woods.

spazmattik

Members
Thanks Will!

If I opt to keep the carpet (i like it) should I go for a dehumidifier? It will be a man cave / fish room. I will probably only have 6 tanks and they will be stacked. Oddly this is the only carpeted area in the house aside from the stair case.

Bathroom is actually visible in the last picture. I can settle on that

verbal

CCA Members
Congrats. It looks like you are already set-up in the room with a good number of outlets.

If you are determined to keep the carpet, I would put those plastic covers they sell for rolling office chairs underneath the tanks.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Matt:

Congrats on the new place and new fish room. I had carpet in my fishroom, and it ended up being a disaster when I finally had a leak. By the time I realized there was a problem, the carpet was ruined, the sub floor was soaked and moldy (my room is upstairs in my house), and I had to break down the tanks, air out the room for weeks, and put down new flooring. Needless to say, the family wasn't thrilled when moved 15 tanks to other parts of the house.

My recommendation would be to take up the carpet now before you have tanks set up. Hard flooring will make clean up from spills much easier. It isn't a matter of if you will spill water, it is when.

Jon

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
My recommendation would be to take up the carpet now before you have tanks set up. Hard flooring will make clean up from spills much easier. It isn't a matter of if you will spill water, it is when.

Jon

Agree 100%. I've been in my place less than a year, and already had several spills, sometimes in gallons. Its nice to be able to towel dry and walk away, or just run a heater or dehumidifier and have it dry later. My floor is concrete, so I painted it with a concrete sealer.

Becca

Members
I agree with everyone else on removing the carpet. I can't tell you how many times the concrete floor and floor drain have saved me from overflowing a tank onto the floor... I can just pull the hose out, drop it on the floor, and run to turn water off.

Even without a drain - you'd be better off on tile or concrete if something like that happened.

spazmattik

Members
Rethinking things..

So with the advice given I may set up in the smaller room in the basement (the 4th bedroom) It is between the bathroom and laundry room and was originally intended to be our home gym. I would be much more inclined to tear the carpet up in there but I just cant in the main area.. it just gives a nice finished basement feel :)

The other room however obviously has a door since it was intended to be a bedroom so it can be shut if I have people over. The downside is it is probably not even half the size of the main area but I should still be able to squeeze in the 6 tanks I want to set up. Which should include a 150-180, a 125 or 2 or 3 ;) and some 90's, 75's... A couple fry tanks as well.

I will need to get dimensions to see how this will work but it sounds like this may be a better idea.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No carpet doesn't have to mean unfinished. I put down vinyl plank tile in my room. It looks like wood floor, but was much more affordable and is essentially waterproof. You'd just need a transition strip from carpet to the tile.