• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help diagnose fish

thedavidzoo

Members
This poor female started breathing heavily several weeks ago and has been on the decline since. She has gotten very skinny but she eats like a pig. I thought she might just need to recover some strength. I have been feeding her a little extra, but it doesn't seem to help.
She has been pale, which is understandable, and listless. Doesn't show much energy. Yesterday she started a 2-tone look where the back part of her body is dark and the front is light. It is on both sides and there is a distinctive line.
She is the only on in the tank with any symptoms. I'll make my hubby finally euthanize her today.:(
Anyone have any idea? One of those weird fish tuberculosis things or something? Just very curious at this point.
0204150910_zps25860262.jpg

thedavidzoo

Members
I don't measure my water parameters anymore. I got way too frustrated with the test kit and trying to interpret the results.

I do a 40-70ish% water change every week, depending on when I remember the hose. No new fish. Everything has pretty much been the same for years.
No other fish are showing any symptoms.

Becca

Members
I have some vague recollection of a neurological/nervous system issue that causes this... I will see if I can find info.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have some vague recollection of a neurological/nervous system issue that causes this... I will see if I can find info.

agreed, we've had some past threads on it. I seem to recall that it might be something viral.

Becca

Members
It could be neon tetra disease, which causes discoloration as it kills muscle tissue.

If this were my fish, and it were in a tank of other fish I valued highly, I'd probably euthanize it. At the very least, I'd isolate and quarantine it.

Neon tetra disease, like many others, is transmitted mostly through nipping/consumption of the diseased animal. As she gets weaker, she's likely to get nipped, and likely to transmit the disease.

thedavidzoo

Members
Before my husband put her out of her misery :)(he always has to do that for me), I noticed that she was showing a red area at the top of her eyes, like hemorrhages, or a small split. Don't know if it was because she might have bumped into something during her labored swimming, or if it was a further progression of the disease.

Anyway, I'll dig around the forum and online to see what I can find.
Thanks, everyone.