• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Redoing my first 120 ramble

mscichlid

Founder
tank5388.jpg

Recently, I decided to have at least one decent planted tank.
I started this project months ago by removing all the fish and using the hardscape to cycle new tank setups. One of the drawbacks was getting one rock out thatwas bigger than Barbito's head. So, one Saturday I covered the edge of the tank with two folded towels, climbed the ladder and reached in to pull it up. I did lose my grip once I got it up about six inches! Got it out though.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the tank, catching snails and planting. Got the C02 tanks refilled and hooked up. The C02 is cranked and I've been dosing ferts. The lighting is 8 x 80W for 8 hrs. The selenoid turns the C02 off with the lights, but I plan to put it on a separate timer.

My next project is to DIY light stands to suspend the light.

I'm running one Eheim 2217 and a Marineland 360 and got a koralia powerhead for more current.

For now the layout is not scaped. I want to see how the plants grow and which ones do best. When it fills in, I'll have a better idea how to scape it. The scape will be a Dutch Style. I'd like to compete in GWAPAS aquascaping contest this year and have a successful tank.

When it's scaped, the fish species will be a large school of tetras, probably two species of apistos, L 129's or 204's or 205's, ottos, inverts, and c. pygmaeus.

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

mscichlid

Founder
front5430.jpg

Glass spot algae. Pearling. The bubbles are at the surface. Gonna go and get the pipe for the lights tomorrow. Hopefully, they will bend it for me.

sideview5434.jpg

Blyxa not looking so hot. It looks better in the 10 gal I setup with Miracle Grow/black sand cap substrate. No filtration.

_blyxa435-2.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
My 20lb C02 tank emptied. I don't think I secured my connection. I'm glad I had the 10lb bottle.

Probably will get a permaseal for the tanks to replace those little plastic discs.

londonloco

Members
The lighting is 8 x 80W for 8 hrs. The selenoid turns the C02 off with the lights, but I plan to put it on a separate timer.

I get green spot algae on the glass on all my new setups, takes a few months to settle down, still get a little on my T5HO set ups, but nothing a quick wipe doesn't take care of. I'm sure this is just due to it being a new tank.

However, you do have a lot of light, can you split the bulbs and run 4 bulbs at a time? Maybe a mid day burst? I had 6 T5's (yours are not T5's are they?) on my 120g and ended up only using 4 bulbs for 8 hours with 2 bulbs running 3 hours a day as a mid day burst (I had pressurized co2 also).

In any event, it's a very pretty tank now, I'm sure as it fills in it will be outstanding!

londonloco

Members
Blyxa not looking so hot. It looks better in the 10 gal I setup with Miracle Grow/black sand cap substrate. No filtration.

_blyxa435-2.jpg

I have some in a 75 gallon, I had a really hard time keeping it down long enough for it to root, it took almost a year to recover from re-planting, but it's doing great now.

mscichlid

Founder
Thanks! I'm hoping it will fill in. I have the original val. 'nana' and it's starting to come back...all over.

Yeah, they're T5HO, 8 x 80W 10k. I have to get a couple more timers when I pick up the pipe.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
One of the drawbacks was getting one rock out thatwas bigger than Barbito's head.

:lol:

I love that tank, Franny. Pretty excited that you're redoing it and can't wait to see the results. Keep on posting updates.

It's tough to get short grasses to grow in a tall tank. Tried a bunch of different varieties in the past, but ended up with a small variety of sag. (I'm a self-admitted cheater plant keeper though... never used soil substrate, keep easy plants, etc.)

Once the CO2 gets stabilized, toss in about 15 otto cats. Those things are algae-removing magic, I swear.

ddavila06

Members
Thanks! I'm hoping it will fill in. I have the original val. 'nana' and it's starting to come back...all over.

Yeah, they're T5HO, 8 x 80W 10k. I have to get a couple more timers when I pick up the pipe.

thats so much light!!!!!!:eek:

put it on a timer

start slow or algea with eat you.
in my 125 i used only 2 80w bulbs...then two more come on for 2-3 hours from 12 to 3 or so.. one was never used lol.

start slow Fran or algea will take over!!!

whats the pipe for? like a stand????

mscichlid

Founder
Yes, the pipes will be used to hold up the light 12". My lights are two banks of 4. Can only operate two bulbs at a time. Moving the light up is my only recourse.

I plan to change the bulbs to the Aqua flora 6500K eventually.

tank5388.jpg

tank5439.jpg

Here it is today. Moved some of the taller plants to the back.
Still getting the algae on the glass. I need to move my lights up to 12" and possibly double my fert receipe.

Plants growing. Do I have to wait until they get to the top to trim and replant?

Bought a-Victor vts 250 d regulator-Burkert solenoid-Swagelok S series metering valve. May have f'd it up. Read the gauge wrong and cranked it too high. Hopefully when the bottle and reg defrost, the reg will still be usable.

The koralia is too big for my tank. I bought it as recommended by chart on Dr F&S. Eventhough the current goes around like I want, the plants are laying down.

Anyone need a Koralia 5? Used once. $30.

mscichlid

Founder
Thanks! I'mn getting there. The regulators and C02 problems had me at my wits end........I should buy stock in Roberts Oxygen.

Tony

Looking great, Franny. Personally, I'd wait until the plants hit the top to split them, then take them down to 50% and plant the other half next to the original. Just so long as the shorter new plant (or old one) is not being blocked out by the taller one, it should work. 2x growth rate with two plants, right?

Anyone need a Koralia 5? Used once. $30.

Is this the one that flows 550 gph? If so, I'll take it off your hands. :)

Thanks! I'mn getting there. The regulators and C02 problems had me at my wits end........I should buy stock in Roberts Oxygen.

Dude - It's all about the controller. ;)

Franny

You actually want to cut them lower since we are shooting for a dutch scape. You could probably get away with a 50% cut in the back, but on the rest you will want to get low enough that the split on the stems isnt visible from the front view of the tank, so below the height of the plant in front of it. You can cut many of these stems a couple times in you think you will still be dealing with a shading issue after first cut.

mscichlid

Founder
Tony its this one 5 Magnum1,650 gph84-1/4" x 6-1/2"110-180 gallons.

The controller isn't the problem. First it was a check valve leak that I didn't find until two bottles later. Then on the next bottle, I blew out the regulator. Nice icey tank! Having that one rebuilt. The last was the connection to bottle. Bought plumbers goop and a crescent wrench. Problem solved.

Working on getting the light stand finished so that it isn't such a PITA to work in the tank. I'm trying to observe how the plants grow and which I like to include in my final scape.

A planted tank can be a lot of work when you don't know what you're doing. Especially if it's high light. I want to accomplish this and get a low tech tank going, too. I know, I'm nuts.

Last edited:

Tony

Tony its this one 5 Magnum1,650 gph84-1/4" x 6-1/2"110-180 gallons.

The controller isn't the problem. First it was a check valve leak that I didn't find until two bottles later. Then on the next bottle, I blew out the regulator. Nice icey tank! Having that one rebuilt. The last was the connection to bottle. Bought plumbers goop and a crescent wrench. Problem solved.

Working on getting the light stand finished so that it isn't such a PITA to work in the tank. I'm trying to observe how the plants grow and which I like to include in my final scape.

A planted tank can be a lot of work when you don't know what you're doing. Especially if it's high light. I want to accomplish this and get a low tech tank going, too. I know, I'm nuts.

Well if it's that one, then I'll still take it, but paying you more for it. We'll talk on Saturday. :)

Can I just say that you have incredibly craptastic luck with CO2?

mscichlid

Founder
Tank5694-1.jpg

Tank today.

I'm definantly due for some trimming. I moved the light up finally. Some of the plants responded right away by growing up instead of out.

So far the only algae problem is the green glass syndrome. I'll see if it goes away because I raised the lights.

Dosing 1oz macros + 1 oz micros + 10 ml Flourish + 10 ml iron everyday. Don't ask if I'm meeting the required ppms, cos I haven't checked yet. Tomorrow is WC day.

Now that I finished the light stand the next project is to attach a magnet to the drop checker suction cup and put in the koralia I got from Damien.

ddavila06

Members
:eek::eek::eek:

wow man, looks awesome! what tipe of ferts are you dosing? dry?? im kind of jealous because i get lazy with my tanks and don't get on a routine, like dosing... a little color here and there wouldnt hurt btw:D something...not green!:D