• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heya!

trancet

Members
Hello!

Getting back into the hobby, had an Oscar and some convicts for almost 10 years as a kid. Trying to build up to a 6' all male tank next year.

Currently have a 75g with:

6x Yellow Tail Acei
2x Yellow Lab
5x aulonocara jacobfreibergi
6x venustus
4x Aulonocara maylandi
4x Sciaenochromis fryeri

Also setting up a 40gal growout tank as well.

Will update this with pics tonight, and ill see you at Aquafest.

-Chris

Ading522

Members
Welcome to the forum! That's a nice setup you have..be sure to post some pics! :)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Looking forward to the pics. Glad to hear you will be at Aquafest. Have you been to other local fish events in the past?

trancet

Members
Found the site on google, and no, i haven't been to any meetings before, just got back into the hobby about 2 months ago.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That's a good looking set up. Great pic too. What kind of lighting are you using? I like how it looks crisp but not overly bright.

chriscoli

Administrator
Welcome! Great looking tank!

A. maylandi are on my wish-list but I've truly got no room to do them justice right now!

verbal

CCA Members
Nice tank. If you want to keep fry from the tank, you will want to have only one peacock species. I think the jacobfreibergi may be the best fit, since they are among the bigger and tougher peacocks.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice tank. If you want to keep fry from the tank, you will want to have only one peacock species. I think the jacobfreibergi may be the best fit, since they are among the bigger and tougher peacocks.

+1.

While they may not interbreed with the jakes, the big problem is that the maylandi will absolutely get pounded in that tank. The jakes will go after them as will the venustus. I've kept breeding groups of every one of those fish before and the maylandi are the odd man out.

Even if they don't get hammered or out-competed for food, they will will not color up, let alone breed. I'd toss them in the 40 and let them do their thing. They are a great fish in a species tank, but tend to do extremely poorly with even non-aggressive Malawi cichlids.

Welcome to the forum!

trancet

Members
Yea, i was planning on moving out the maylandi in a month or two, still dont have the 40gal setup, hopefully get it done by this weekend.

@Andrewtfw

As far as the lighting, it is a pair of fluorescent T5, that i got from Petsmart, made for planted tanks. (figured it would help my java fern, and soon my naja grass)

trancet

Members
Update !

video from inside the tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSJAdqYUEyg

Male Show Tank(75g)
5 Venustus
1 Fryeri
1 Jacob
1 Acei
1 Yellow Lab
1 OB Peacock
2 Fusco
1 Creamsicle Peacock
1 D. Compressiceps

Female/Growout(40g)
3 Redfin
3 Red Empress
1 VC10
2 Fryeri
3 Maylandi
1 C. Moorii
2 Jacob
3 Bucco Notto

Ended up giving away most of the Mbuna, got some red zebra that were just mean.

Currently dealing with my Creamsicle peacock constantly chasing my yellow lab.

Should be getting a 6' tank sometime in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Ading522

Members
Nice stocking! Glad you'll be upgrading soon.. I don't see the 5 venestus and d.compressiceps sharing a 75 g in the long run..post some pics!

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Are you sure all three red emp are female? These fish fool a lot of people, some don't color till 4-5". I've sold several figuring they were female only to find out they were male. The same is true for red fin borleyi. Imo I think it was wise to unload the mbuna. Some would disagree but personally it never works for me. Nice tank welcome to the club.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trancet

Members
Are you sure all three red emp are female? These fish fool a lot of people, some don't color till 4-5". I've sold several figuring they were female only to find out they were male. The same is true for red fin borleyi. Imo I think it was wise to unload the mbuna. Some would disagree but personally it never works for me. Nice tank welcome to the club.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Those in the 40g breeder are basically the small ones not showing color/will fit in my D. Compressiceps mouth. I certainly hope at least 1 redfin/red emp. is male!