• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

29-Gallon, Fish Acting Odd

zackcrack00

Members
Hey guys. Today I noticed the fish in my 29-gallon show tank are all acting weird. They are allay the bottom and the Pelvicachromis signatus aren't nipping any of the fish or anything.

Stock:
1x Spiny peacock eel (in tank for a long time, about 8 months)
1x yellow-finned spiny eel (added last night)
Pair of Wild caught P. Signatus (added last night
Colony of cherry shrimp (feeders, added last night)
2x Lonfin Rosy Barb (in tank a few months now)
Pair of L144 ancistrus
Tank is filtered AC50 with peat, water changes every week, including last night. Lightly planted with many pieces of driftwood and some caves. I am going to check the parameters when I get off work, but all should be well as the tank isn't heavily stocked and water changes are kept up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Checking water parameters is always the first step. I'd also check temp and filter flow just to be on the safe side. IME, if they are acting like this after a water change, something has happened. I've had nitrite spikes before after a water change with no explanation. The only possibility is I forgot Prime, which is why I now only use aged water. Definitely check your nitrite.

zackcrack00

Members
Okay, I checked everything. Its all in check, even my nitrate, surprisingly. It's around 15ppm, lower than it's been in a very long time. I was still wondering what had been going on and I was a little worried, so I performed a 75% water change around 9pm last night. The fish seem fine, which is weird because they were acting so odd before. What was happening?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd up the water changes or cut back on feeding to try and get your nitrates down. 15ppm right after a w/c on a tank that small is pretty high. What are the nitrates in your tap water?

Jon

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'd up the water changes or cut back on feeding to try and get your nitrates down. 15ppm right after a w/c on a tank that small is pretty high. What are the nitrates in your tap water?

Jon

I've tested his water the nitrates are usually higher to begin with. So might have to figure something else out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app