• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wild Malawi Haps - ID Video

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Finally got a chance to take some shots of the new haps I brought back from ECC on Sunday. Most are wild caught from Steve from Valley Aquatics' very generous donation. They are being housed in a 50 breeder temporarily for the next month or so to be quarantined.

I've taken a bunch of pictures on the Nikon, but figured a video would be quicker and show more detail.. no worries with freakouts from the flash or exposure/processing/etc. I've been able to ID most of them, but would appreciate any help if anyone can.

Here's the list (I think):

• 3x Lichnochromis acuticeps - diagonal stripe, heavily underslung/pointed jaw
  • 1x Buccochromis spectabilis - large fish, dark bluish color, steep forehead (2:09-2:10)
  • 3x Placidochromis johnstoni - dark vertical bars, eye stripe (0:20-0:22)
  • 2x Mylochromis ericotaenia - light vertical stripes, intersecting diagnol stripe forming squares (1:43)
  • 1x Protomelas maginatus - (?) single lateral continuous stripe (1:05)
  • 1x Stigmatochromis pholidophorus - torpedo shape, pointed mouth (2:25-2:27)
  • 5x Trematocranus placodon - three spots, low "placidochromis" mouth (group 0:29-0:31)
  • 1x Copadichromis borleyi male (tank raised) - dark, almost black color, rounded cop. shape.
  • 1x Aulonocara masoni male (tank raised) - blue peacock
  • 1x Scianochromis fryeri male (tank raised) - Small metallic blue piscivore.
There are a couple of others that I am not sure about. One is a laterally compressed hap with two uneven horitontzal stripe running down the side, parallel with the lateral line. They have yellow ventral fins and a bit of yellow on their tail fin. See video around 1:22 and 1:49.

The other is a solid silver borleyi-shaped hap with no melanin pattern, white leading edges on the ventrals and anal fins and a black/white margin on the dorsal fin. He may be a maturing marginatus, but I am not sure. See video 2:14-2:22.

Also need confirmation on the Protomelas marginatus. It looks like my Nyassochromis broadzulu, but so does the marginatus.

Anyway, I know these are pretty obscure fish. I'm not too concerned about figuring them out right now as they'll be in that tank for some time.

Thanks for looking; hope I didn't bore too much. :p

[YT]3iEtrVi7S4w[/YT]

Tony

BTW, if it helps, here's the import list from Steve that Ed sent me. (Thanks Ed!)

Lichnochromis Acuticeps
Mylochromis laterstriga (the mchuse/makangjila variety)
Buccochromis Spectabilis
Ctenopharynx Pictus Liuli
Lethrinops Green Face
Nimbochromis Linni
Otopharynx Heterodon
Placidochromis Johnstoni
Protomelas Kirkii
Protomelas Maginatus
Stigmatochromis Pleurospilis
Stigmatochromis pholidophorus
Trematocranus Placodon
Nyassachromis "paparazi" itungi (Nyassachromis purpurans Itungi)
Mylochromis ericotaenia

Cartel

Members
You know where to send a spare male of each....and good luck IDing them that's the only reason I didn't help you bidding because I'm clueless when it comes to IDing fish.

Tony

You know where to send a spare male of each....and good luck IDing them that's the only reason I didn't help you bidding because I'm clueless when it comes to IDing fish.

Hoping to get a couple of groups out of them.. maybe supplement with additional females from Steve on his next order.

I'll definitely keep you in mind, Wil. :)